Is freakin out normal?!?

crystal C.
on 8/20/11 1:02 pm - lynn, MA
So my surgery is less then a month away now, and I guess the realiity has kinda set in.  Is freakin out a little normal?  I have been in my hospitals program forever since last May I guess I felt like I was never gonna get a date and now it is here. 

It doesnt help that today my mother who has been very supportive the whole time tried to talk me out of having the surgery.  Which I am having no matter what.  Just wondering if feeling like this and questioning your desicion is normal.  I know having the surgery is the right desicion I guess I am just worried about the actual time during the surgery. 
Lisa R.
on 8/20/11 1:06 pm - CA
Very normal.  In fact, you would be a little abnormal if you were not a bit freaked out.  It is major surgery and then a major life change.  It doesn't come easy.

Good Luck! 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
missjann
on 8/20/11 1:14 pm
Very normal for both you and your mom..  Just focus on all the good reasons
you decided to change your life and have the surgery.  Focus on healthy
eating and getting rid of sugar, carbs and carbonated drinks. That and doing
things like cleaning out your closet and getting recipes together and
checking out various vitamins and protein drinks and recipes will help
take your mind off the surgery and time will fly by.  Maybe have your mom
help you so she can feel like she's doing something too.  As for the surgery
itself, it will fly by.  Not to worry.  You put your health in the hands of a competent
surgeon, so trust him to do what he's skilled at.  Good luck!
    Jan

(deactivated member)
on 8/20/11 1:54 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Yes, to what all these fine folks said!

Totally normal; put your trust in your surgical team, and
go for it!!

Just make a list of all the great things you'll be able to
do in a year (or less!) like crossing your legs at the knees,
wearing Victoria's Secret undies, going for a 5K race!

Best wishes
hafsis
on 8/20/11 2:06 pm
Its very normal. I was having anxity attacks for about 2 months before my surgery. On the way to the hospital for my surgery my husband was still trying to talk me out of it. I freaked out when the nurse came to take me to the surgery room as I was crying so hard they had to wait for me to calm down. Its very normal. I had my surgery one year ago on 8/16/2010. Today I am down about 110 lbs and feel better then I did when I was younger. Its perfectly normal. Remember, you are doing this for yourself!
Monica V.    
dasie
on 8/20/11 10:55 pm
Very normal.  Once approval finally came, I was shocked how quickly things moved.  I found myself crying all the time...at everything.  I think it was a stress release.  However I was at peace with my decision, and like you, I was having the surgery.

AnneGG
on 8/20/11 11:06 pm
Yup, very normal. I was a mess but determined, and now a year+ out, very grateful. I was a mess right after surgery, too, but hung in there. I could have never gotten where I am (healthy with cholesterol normal, sleep apnea and GERD gone, size 2-4, running 5 miles a day, etc.) without it. It's hard work now, but it's work that is so worth it!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 536 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 334 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 133 views
Recent Topics