My body is my enemy!!

nurse55
on 8/20/11 1:19 pm
DS on 09/11/12
 I am terrified that I will not lose weight after my RNY.   I have tried every diet know to man, and Yes, I have lost weight in the past!! I was thin all my life and only started putting on weight after a hysterectomy in 2005. Since then I have gained about 20 lbs a year for the past 6 years. I have had my thyroid checked,hormone levels, and every other blood test  and they are always on the low end of normal. My coritsol level was elevated in a 24 hour urine test, but upon follow up the Dr. said it was normal. My husband even went with me and told the Dr. she only eats about 800 or 900 caloreies a day and No I don't sneak food. The Drs. solution was for me to increase my calorie intake to 1500 aday, and what happened???? I gained even more weight!!!  It is like my body is my enemy. So scared it will fight me after surgery!!!
Lisa R.
on 8/20/11 1:23 pm - CA
If you only eat 800 to 900 calories now, then why get surgery?  That is about how much people eat AFTER the surgery.  I guess you will have malabsorbtion to help you, but that goes away after 18 months or 2 years.

I have never heard of anyone who did not lose weight after surgery.  I would think it is pretty hard not to.  Your situations sounds odd, like there might be something more that you have not discovered.  Keep working with your doctors because eating 900 calories a day, sooner or later you are going to lose weight.

Good Luck 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
april89love
on 8/20/11 1:37 pm - NC
I have a friend that is exactly like you. She walks everyday and watches what she eats. I don't think surgery would really help either of you. I would try a high protein diet and cut out most grains, pasta and rice. If this doesn't help you lose weight now it won't help after surgery.
nurse55
on 8/21/11 4:47 pm
DS on 09/11/12
Interesting!!! Were you a big overeater before surgery??? Or did you feel that you ate normaly?  I have found in my years in nursing that most overweight people do eat less that many of their skinny friends and family, and it looks like surgery had helped many of these people. I have done high protein in the past and lost weight but failed to manintain as I am sure many others here have. Thank you for your thoughts.
cajungirl
on 8/20/11 1:44 pm
Have you researched all surgery types? Bases on your post information it sounds like your metabolism is shot. You probably should consider the DS as an option too.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

nurse55
on 8/21/11 4:41 pm
DS on 09/11/12
I have not researched the DS as much as the RNY. Does the DS help more with metabloic symdrome that RNY???? I know about the pyloric valve conponent and the dumping.. I also know the malasborbtion only last 18months to 2 years with RNY, where it goes on with the DS. But was not aware that DS or RNY really affected the metabloism. Do you know of any articles online about this?? I have been looking but did not find any that specifically addressed metabolism.

I am hoping that as the weight decreases and exercise increases, that the metabolism will stabailize. At this point any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.
missjann
on 8/20/11 1:50 pm
You will lose weight.  You may not lose 100% of what you want, but you will lose.
Your story sounds all too familiar to me and I was sure I'd be the one failure and
this surgery wouldn't work for me.  Well......buh bye nearly 80 pounds. 
Just follow your NUT and surgeon's advice and prepare to be a success.
If I can do this, anybody can do this.  My endocrinologist wasn't even sure it
would work well for me, but here I am and I've exceeded my wildest dreams.
Good luck!
    Jan

nurse55
on 8/21/11 3:31 pm
DS on 09/11/12
Thank you for your kind response.  I am glad to know that I am not the only one that has self doubt. I am new to this board and guess I should not post till after surgery, and only then if I am having problems. I have researched the surgery, and I am an R.N. and know about nutrition, and have to do teaching with new diabetics, which is enbarrasing when you are mobidly obese. I have had every test I and my physician know to do to check my metabolism and all come out normal. My surgeon thinks I will do well. Just letting fear get the best of me. Thank you for your well wishes.
(deactivated member)
on 8/20/11 1:50 pm, edited 8/20/11 1:51 am - Santa Cruz, CA
This is a problem known as Metabolic Syndrome (look it up), in which our bodies are so out
of whack from years of dieting that we can lose weight for a bit, then put it all back on with
more along for the ride. Yes, not eating "refined carbs" is a great thing to do. Can we keep it
up? Not usually, because of the easy availability in our markets. And then we eat some of
our favorite snacks, our bodies go into overdrive with insulin production, and we feel as if we
can never eat enough to satiate our hunger drive.

WLS surgery helps.

Medical literature (check sciencedaily.com, or other medical info sites) states that WLS will
help most of us with this syndrome.

Definitely read all you can about all of the surgeries; maybe RNY wouldn't be good for you
in particular. I definitely would not recommend the band, from what I've read here about the
failure rate.

I wish you the best.

nurse55
on 8/21/11 3:36 pm
DS on 09/11/12
Yes, I am aware of metabolic symdrome, and I think you are right. I went on Atkins around 2003 or 2004 and lost a large amount of weight, but could not maintain the loss. My surgeon does not think the band is the right choice for me either. In the beginning, I was sure that was what I wanted, but after much research, I changed my mind. Thank you for all the info and especially the web sites.
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics