vacation right after surgery?

BlueEyedMom02
on 8/22/11 1:56 am, edited 8/22/11 2:08 am - CA
Here's my question? how long after surgery will it be before I will feel up to doing something like disneyland or sea world?  Or really, what was your activity level like a week and a half to two  and a half weeks after your surgery?  (i'm having RNY laprascopically as well as my gall bladder removed.)

My surgery was originally going to be in July we thought, then I saw the surgeon and his wait was up to 8 weeks instead of the 2-3 his nurse originally told me. Then it got rescheduled. So the gist of it is I'm having surgery a week and a half before a bunch of our family arrives for vacation.  The plan was to do disney, the beach, and legoland and seaworld. Everything is within an hour and a half car ride, but they're all buying tickets ahead of time, and I'm just not sure whether to get any tickets for me or not. I forgot to ask the surgeon and I don't see him again until surgery.  Any advice you all could give would be great. 

I"m thinking  I should just do the beach as I can easily walk to the sand from the car and just sit if I'm tired, but Dh thinks I could probably do some of the other stuff with them and just sit while they go on rides and stuff.  I"m bummed that it worked out this way, as we don't see this family very often at all.  

Thanks!

SweetLilyAnn
on 8/22/11 2:11 am - TX
You are going to be WIPED OUT!!! I went back to work after 2 weeks but only worked as long as I could that third week and went home and crashed. You are having RNY and Gallbladder....my guess is that you will be too exhausted for that kind of mega-trip kid trip - Plus you will just be figuring out your food. To say the least, it will be hard. Sorry....

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

allvalerie
on 8/22/11 2:51 am - Seward, AK
I traveled to San Diego for surgery. After I was out of the hospital I did go to Sea World and some museums and stuff. I got tired easy but still did stuff.

A month after surgery I went to Arizona too and did stuff. More energy then but still got tried easy.

Id plan on doing things but every other day like go to the beach one day, stay and rest the next day while everyone goes to legoland, then go to seaworld, rest the next day etc.

Best of luck!
Valerie
Jenny_D
on 8/22/11 4:09 am, edited 8/22/11 4:10 am - Canton, GA
Definitely don't buy advance tickets and play it by ear. See how you feel each day and participate as you can.

I'm sorry your plans are getting messed up like this, but it will all be worth it in the end!

I would not have been up to doing too much that soon out. I went back to work a week after surgery but I was working from home, in a recliner with a laptop, and I napped mid-day! My energy levels were not up to par until about 4 weeks out.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

Mindy B.
on 8/22/11 7:58 am
I was able to go on a 6 hour car ride to family reunion one week exactly after my RNY.  I was sore at times, yes, but did just fine.  I even went on a boat ride that weekend.  I was pretty tired, but just tried to sit and rest as best as I could.  

I know everyone reacts to surgery differently, and I like to think I handled mine very well.  The first 3-4 days, though, I thought I was out of my mind for thinking I could go anywhere...then it got better!! :)

Just don't overdo...and make your family take care of you.  You will most likely be fine!!!

Have fun and good luck!!!

HW:  306
Surgery weight:  287.5

ladybugnessa
on 8/22/11 8:40 am - Owings Mills, MD
my surgeon said no out of town travel for 3 days. I was up for walking within 3 or 4 weeks but still very tired..

the first week or two you will NOT be up to it... at least I was not.
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

BlueEyedMom02
on 8/23/11 12:55 am - CA
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 212 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 345 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?