What am I doing wrong!!!

kmama101
on 8/26/11 3:25 pm
I had my surgery 11 months ago and everything was going great until 6 months out. My problem is that since I started my job 6 months ago I have actually gained 10 pounds. I am still eating at least 100 grams of protein a day and doing a morning shake for breakfast. I usually only have about 900-1100 calories a day. I make sure that I at least get 75 to 100 ounces of water daily. I am very active at work and I am on my feet for about 7-8 hours a day. Here is an example of my typical menu.
Breakfast- 40 gram protein shake
snack- carbsmart yogurt
Lunch- tuna with very little lowfat mayo and a couple of raw carrots
snack- Half of a very small apple and a cheesstick
Dinner- chicken with broccoli
snack- sometimes I will have a sugarfree posicle and somtimes I won't
Does this sound okay? I still only eat around 5 to 6 ounces of food at a time. I do feel as though I get hungry but I try to keep myself busy to forget about it. My clothes have just barely become a little more snug but not hardly at all. I am in a size 8-10 pants ans a "guys" small shirt. Thanks for taking a look any information would be much appreciated!

KATIE

poet_kelly
on 8/26/11 3:51 pm - OH
What do your surgeon and dietician say?  Why do they think you gained weight so early out and on this type of diet?  I'm not sure what the problem is but it does not sound to me like you are doing anything wrong.  You may need a little more calories than what you're getting but I don't know why you would actually gain weight if this is how you eat every day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kmama101
on 8/26/11 4:27 pm
Hello Kelly thanks for getting back so soon. I learned about 2 years or so ago that I had a low thyriod level and was put on medicine for that. Well we finally got the dosing just right and then I had my surgery. About 3 months ago it was at an all time low so my primary doctor uped my dosage of armour thyriod. As for my bariatric doctor he does not know what could be going on. He thinks that it might be from my weight training. I have also been swelling in my hands and feet almost every night for about the last few months. I see my bariatric doctor next month for my year follow up. I just feel as though this is just another thing that I am failing at. I hope this helps

poet_kelly
on 8/26/11 5:09 pm - OH
Your bariatric doctor thinks you might have gained ten pounds due to weight training but isn't really sure?  Well, surely he has had many other patients that do weight training.  Do they typically gain about ten pounds?  And then not lose anything every again?  That doesn't sound correct to me.  If that has been his experience, though, then why does he not warn patients not to do weight training?  Sounds like he is just brushing you off.

Don't accept that from him.  Question him about the weight training issue.  And ask him what else it could be or how he plans to find out what it is.  He needs to figure out what's causing the swelling in your hands and feet, too.  That sounds as if you may be retaining water, which does not happen for no reason.  Solving that problem, whatever it is, may help with weight loss.

You are not failing if you are sticking to your meal plan (at least most of the time; an occasional treat or poor choice will not prevent you from losing weight).  If you are sticking to your meal plan and have actually gained weight already, then something is wrong.  It's not that you are doing something wrong.  Your doctor  needs to make an effort, a big effort, to figure out what is wrong.  If there is something you could do differently to help the situation, then he needs to let you know what that is.  If your doctor is not making an effort to figure out what is wrong, then his is failing, not you.  And if that's the case, you need to find a new doctor.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lorrainecma
on 8/26/11 9:20 pm
 The fact that you are swelling is an indication that there is something (not sure what) going on. This may be a PCP problem as opposed to a bariatric problem (not sure), but you may not actually be gaining weight as much as you are holding fliud. I would get this checked out for sure!!
mrslatch
on 8/26/11 9:33 pm, edited 8/26/11 9:34 pm - Fort Campbell, KY
My thoughts exactly. You probably haven't actually gained any real weight. Your retaining fluid, and there is a reason for it that and someone (PCP or Surgeon) needs to find out why. I'd go to my PCP if I were you and start there. It seems like your surgeon is brushing you off to me. Weight training will cause an initial 'gain' because it is new and causes your body to kind of 'freak out' and retain water and such, BUT that gain plus some will come off shortly after once your body gets use to the new routine.

Also if you are very active at work (I don't know what you do) plus work out on a regular basis. You might try upping the calories just a bit. Maybe try 2 scrambled eggs and some turkey bacon and/or a slice of extra fiber toast for break fast, and a shake for a 'snack'?

Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

Lisa R.
on 8/26/11 4:59 pm - CA
First off you ARE NOT A FAILURE!  OMG!  you have lost 97lb!  You are a size 8/10...wow.  How is that failing.

I have the thyroid issue as well, are you getting your blood work done every 4 to 6 weeks.  That is a type of medication that needs to be checked and adjusted all the time.

I think Kelly is right, eat more.  Give yourself some good card.  I sugar free pop is not enough, your body need to process real food and if you are up and active all the time and doing weight training you should be getting more calories to support that.  I think you might try to eat breakfast, not a shake.  Do the shake between breakfast and lunch then a small snack like cheese or yogurt between lunch and dinner and then a little something at night.  I like these woosabie dried peas.

Honesty, if you never lose one more lb you should try to find comfort with how far you have come.  I see lots of people at this point questioning it they will ever reach goal, and maybe they will but maybe they wont, but they are thinner then they were and that in itself is success. 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Michelle E.
on 8/26/11 5:37 pm
That hardly looks like enough calories or food..I find adding some benefiber to my crystal light in the morning and evening helps me...I sway back and forth with 5 pounds.. sometimes I eat more sometimes less..depends..
I maybe would think about adding some activity like a walk at lunch time? Your food plan looks reasonable..
kmama101
on 8/27/11 1:09 am
Thank you all for posting. When I go and see my bariatric doctor it is usually his PA and he is a body builder. I am okay with myself if I never lose anymore but I just wasn't expecting a weight gain this early out. It has slowly been creeping up. I can see a little weight gain in my face also. I know it sounds crazy but I can LOL. As long as I don't keep on gaining I will be happy. Thanks again for all of the replies.

Katie

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 8/27/11 2:16 am - Belleville, IL
First, as everyone else has said. You've done great.

That being said, sounds like you have several things going on.
1) At between 12-24 months, RNY paitients usually have a bounceback of 5-20 lbs of weight and begin to stop "malabsorbing" like we did. Now the "hard work" comes in to make sure we exercise and eat right.

2) Your meals look pretty "spot on" (Good). Your protein is fine. Only YOU honestly know whether you are getting in all your water...having extra carbs or sugar or what not. Some people try the "5 Day Pouch Test" to get back to basics and get back that "full feeling". It's not a cure all or diet per se, but kind of a mental and physical "reset" of your pouch. You can do it for just 3-4 days if you want.

3) Thyroid and medical issues. I take Synthroid too (Both pre-op and post). You need to have it followed closely as the other poster said and have your bloodwork drawn every 4 weeks until you are in the right range.
Any chance you could be Pregnant? Sounds silly, but a lot of hormonal changes go on during the 1st year of weight loss. Also, if you are still a menstruating woman, as we get thinner, swelling from "monthly cycles" might be more noticeable.

4) Weight training. I am a female bodybuuilder and weight lifting competitor. I am 146 right now and also in a 8/10 (leaning more towards the 8 now). I have some seriously large biceps and can outlift many men, but a really lean waist and butt. Yes, muscle mass will weigh on the whole more than fat mass, but unless you are shooting steriods and other illegal substances, it is very, very, hard for a woman to get the kind of muscle mass men do.

Are you getting Cardio in? Are you taking your rest days inbetween sets?

5) What were your last full lab (blood draws) like? You're a year out, so you should be getting the whole works (CBC, Full Vitamin, Iron, Ferriten, Calcium and all that good stuff....) If they aren't drawing off 17-20 vials of blood, your NOT getting a full lab work up. Make sure you get one, and see where all your values are. Are you being very religious about takeing ALL your vitamins, minerals and B12? Any deficiences can mess up your metabolism.

Good luck to you!
Warmly,
Jackie