removing staples from pouch

Shelly D.
on 8/29/11 11:39 am - Grandview, TX
I have seen a few post about surgeons removing staples from your pouch. OK maybe I jumped the gun and didnt ask that question. I have not heard anything about having to have this done. Is this something that everyone has to go through. My surgeon said nothing about this??? ahhhh lol I am just posting like crazy today.

RYN-8/10/2011
HW-320
CW-191
GW-150

MastoDon
on 8/29/11 11:55 am - Los Gatos, CA
There would have to be a pretty good reason presented to me before I'd allow my surgeon to go in and remove my staples.  There may be a few folks with some strange complications that make staple removal necessary, but I can't believe that even as many as 1% of RNY patients have to go through it.
Our bodies form scar tissue over the staples and they get sealed inside that tissue.  They're typically made of titanium, which is a metal that doesn't generally provoke any sort of allergic reaction with people.
My advice to you is not to give the matter another thought.  Relax and look forward to getting healthy.

Learning to swim was easy.  The hard part was getting out of that burlap sack.  Those rocks were heavy.
High: 310    Surgery day: 282     Goal: 190     Current: 178

wanttostartover
on 8/29/11 12:02 pm - SC
Don, are you a therapist? Man, you give some amazing advice! Simple, to the point, and freeing!

wanttostartover
on 8/29/11 11:55 am - SC
My surgeou DOES NOT. He stated clearly in the intro that "if you have a problem with the staples forever being inside you, you would want to check into the sleeve, not rny."

Shelly D.
on 8/29/11 11:58 am - Grandview, TX

YAY, I am A-OK with the staples. They are just fine in there lol I will gladly keep them instead of going under the knife again. 

THanks for easing my fears

RYN-8/10/2011
HW-320
CW-191
GW-150

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/29/11 1:00 pm - OH
I don't know of anyone -- either IRL or on the internet -- who has had staples removed!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

rbb825
on 8/29/11 4:45 pm - Suffern, NY
I have been on these boards along time and have never heard of anyone having there staples removed. I dont' know why anyone would want them removed or why any surgeon would do it unless there was some major complication that they were causing.  Once they are in there for time, scar tissue grows and I can't see how they even could get them out without causing further damage.

Brazilnut2
on 8/30/11 5:53 am - TN

I posted a week ago about having my staples removed.  I was talking about the staples used to close the outside incisions made in my abdomen for the laprascopic instruments. 

Maybe when people here talk about having staples removed, they are talking about the outer ones, if they had staples instead of stitches.  My understanding is that the staples inside where the pouch is are the size of sesame seeds.  My husband had his RNY 2.5 years ago and still has his inside staples.

Shelly D.
on 8/30/11 5:55 am - Grandview, TX
I had staples on the outside as well and man was it great to get them out. I saw a post about pouch staples being removed but I think that they were having some complications. I got a little nervous but everyone has reassured me. Thanks :)

RYN-8/10/2011
HW-320
CW-191
GW-150

ladybugnessa
on 8/30/11 6:58 am - Owings Mills, MD
even with my perforated ulcer repair at the beginning of the month my staples were NOT removed my pouch not altered.

the ulcer is called a MARGINAL ulcer because it's ON THE STAPLE LINE... still NOT taking my staples out... over my dead body will I let them remove my staples...
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151