Advice please

shaney1111
on 9/4/11 9:06 pm, edited 9/4/11 9:45 pm - Syracuse, NY
Everything has been going good since my surgery Aug 18, then on fri i drank 16oz of sugar free apple juice not diluted and after that I felt like my stomach was so full of gas, I am able to pass gass and able to poop very little but now my stomach has been cramping really bad since then, it feels like the lower part of my stomach, yester i ate a couple crackers because I was scared and I didn want to make the cramps worse, im able to drink but with the cramps im just not feeling up to it. Im not due for my cycle for another 3 weeks so I dont believe its that but Im getting worried, should I be going to the hospital??
walterswife
on 9/4/11 9:22 pm

Your body is probably reacting to all that sugar. I would say you were experiencing dumping syndrome but it is unusual for it to last as long as you have been having problems.

Have you tried GasX?  It usually helps with gas. I find the chewbles work well.  Others like the GasX strips.

You should never drink that much undiluted apple juice, especially so early out.  Diet juices would be a better choice but should not be consumed in excess due to caloric content and/or sugar alcohols.

What you need to be woring towards is a balance.  How many grams of sugar are contained in one serving of that juice.  It sounds like you had at least two servings.  Try to keep sugar grams unde

I r 10 per serving right now.

What does your diet plan consist of at this point?

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

shaney1111
on 9/4/11 9:41 pm - Syracuse, NY
It was suger free applejuice and it said to dilute it the first week but I thought since I was 3 weeks out I could have it. Half egg, tuna/salmon, crackers or half piece of toast
poet_kelly
on 9/4/11 9:44 pm - OH
There is no sugar free apple juice.  It may not have had sugar added to it, but apples all have natural sugar in them in the form of fructose.  All fruit does.  Many people tolerate fructose just fine, but it does bother some people, especially in large amounts.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

shaney1111
on 9/4/11 9:55 pm - Syracuse, NY
OMGG jus checked and there is 28g of sugar in the applejuice wowww. so could this be the cause of the cramps??? I sure hope so because I really dont want to end up in the hospital, but would the cramping last this long If I drank on fri???
poet_kelly
on 9/4/11 10:02 pm - OH
And that's 28 grams in one serving.  How much is a serving, 8 ounces?  So you probably had two servings, right?

It seems a bit unlikely to me that it would still be giving you cramps today if you drank it on friday.  But I guess it could be.  If it is that, I don't think you'll end up in the hospital because there's not much you can do about a bad reaction to too much sugar except ride it out and wait for it to pass.

If the cramps aren't horrible and you aren't having any other symptoms, it's probably not something very serious.  But nobody can really diagnose you online, of course, and there is always a chance however small that it is something pretty serious.  If you're worried about it, go to the ER.  If it would make you feel better to find out what it is, it's OK to go.  (there is the possibility they won't be able to figure out what it is, but they can at least rule out certain serious problems)

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

walterswife
on 9/4/11 9:24 pm

I intended to say you should keep the sugar grams per serving under 10.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

poet_kelly
on 9/4/11 9:24 pm - OH
Why don't you give your surgeon's office a call?  I  know they won't be in the office today but there should be an answering service and a doc on call that can call you back.

Otherwise, if the cramps are really bad, I would go to the ER. 

Do you think maybe you just need to poop?

shaney1111
on 9/4/11 9:44 pm - Syracuse, NY
Im able to poop but very little, thats what I thought it was at first but thy wont seem to go away, I called my doc this morning he was not friendly or happy at all about the call I can tell but said if I cant take the pain go to the er. Its not that I cant take the pain I feel like the pain should not be happening, the cramps arent every second but every now and then Im like damn just like period cramps Just minus the period
poet_kelly
on 9/4/11 9:57 pm - OH
Well, don't worry about whether or not he's happy about the call.  That's his job.  He gets paid very well to do it.  It's no different than if you go into a store and the sales clerk looks annoyed that he actually has to help you.  It's his job.

If you think you might need to poop, you could try taking something to help you poop.  If you're having cramps, though, I would take something pretty gentle if you decide to do that.  Some laxatives give you cramps for a little while.  I use Miralax and it seems very gentle to me.  (I'm not saying you should take anything, just that it might help if needing to poop is the problem).

You can try a heating pad on your tummy.  That might help.

It's possible that it is period cramps if that's what it feels like, even though it's not really time.  Some people get irregular cycles for a little while after surgery.