Food questions...

lilbear412
on 9/6/11 2:34 am - MN
 i was shopping this weekend and realized i dont' know some things about the foods i need to watch for..or rather i don't know much about foods.  
Can i eat butter in small doses or is it to high in fat?  like to fry an egg in?  Can i use bbq sauce on meats?  It has sugar in it but the amt. that goes on a piece of chix or whatever and then gets bbq is probably small and won't hurt much.  Just small things like that?  Things they don't make sugar free versions of.  I bought parkay butter spray for vegies because i know it doesn't have fat in it is this good?  any other insignificant foods we eat and don't pay attention to on a daily basis..thanks for your advice.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

poet_kelly
on 9/6/11 3:19 am - OH
When you ask if butter is too high in fat, too high in fat for what?  Too high in fat to lose weight if you fry an egg in it?  Nope.  Too high in fat for you to eat without your tummy feeling bad?  I don't know, some people can tolerate more fat than others.

If you're only using a little BBQ sauce, then there probably won't be enough sugar in it to cause a problem, but again everyone is different and some tolerate lots of sugar and some tolerate very little.  The amount of sugar in BBQ sauce can vary from brand to brand, too.

You just need to read food labels and try things and see what works for you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dan OBrien
on 9/6/11 3:37 am - FL
I never read labels before surgery, but it is a game for me now.  I am trying to avoid as much sugar and fat as possible (and also trying to get my kids to do the same without knowing).  If you look around, you'll find some pretty good, pretty healthy substitutes.  I found both low sugar BBQ sauce (I think it's Kraft) and ketchup (which my daughter loads up on) by Heinz.  But overall, it's not going to matter too much in small quantities, just how you react to it.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

lilbear412
on 9/6/11 5:32 am - MN
 i have been reading labels for years.  i was just wondering if butter was a bad thing or not but i guess like kelly said, it might be fine for me but not the next person.  so this process is just a crap shoot.  try it if it doesn't go good then wait awhile and try again.. like feeding a baby.. lol  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

poet_kelly
on 9/6/11 6:04 am - OH
Kelly doesn't believe any foods are bad.  Some foods are healthier than others and some we should not eat very  much of and some we may prefer not to eat at all... but they aren't bad.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

seashell6417
on 9/6/11 6:03 am - Gaylord, MN
Butter and BBQ sauce do not cause problems for me but, like others have said, it can vary from person to person.  I have found the yummiest way for me to "fry" an egg is to spray my non-stick pan w/ a canola oil non-stick spray.  I then add some salt and fresh ground pepper to the spray before I add the egg.  I pepper the top of the egg and let it cook, flipping it half way through.  The side of the egg cooked first gets the most delicious crusty, salty, peppery thing going on.  Mmmm!  I have skipped the butter since I started cooking eggs this way.
Tami

coolcatkimmie
on 9/6/11 1:21 pm - Haughton, LA
Im glad Im not the only one that has been wondering that same question. I have the i cant believe its not butter spray on my list right now, but have been wondering when I get past the full liquid phase and start eating more variety and texture, what is ok and what is not. I have read labels for years, but didn't have to worry about wether the food was actually going to make me physically ill if I had a brand that had a little more sugar than another. It is most definitely like feeding a baby again. Trying new things one at a time to make sure they don't cause issues and learning to view food in a whole new way. Where used to it was how much will i enjoy this, now its how good for my body is this. Total different mindset! Thank goodness!!!
  Kimberly                     Faith makes things possible, not easy!

Most Active