"Only" 90ish pounds to lose

SAVAGE
on 9/7/11 2:37 am - Howell, NJ
MEZ
on 9/7/11 1:40 am - Wilmington, NC
I am 5'5" and 229.

I am in the first steps towards RNY. I've been approved by the surgeon, but now need to attend my nutrition classes (2) and have my psych evaluation before I can go back and get insurance clearance and a surgery date.

I have high blood pressure, sleep apnea, and heel/knee issues caused by my weight.  I do not want more issues. I do not want to be pre-diabetic. I want to be pro-active. I have been trying for a lifetime to lose weight.

I have no qualms about this being the right choice for me.  But WOW the responses I get from the few people I have told...  Not heavy enough. Why not just exercise. Etc. etc.

So I've shut up.

So those of you who had less than 100 lbs. to lose, did you tell people about the surgery?  How fast did you lose post-RNY?

I don't feel it's the business of my employees (I am a manager), but the same time I don't want them to think I'm dying from cancer or something. How did you handle the rapid weight loss?

Thanks so much....
Ellen
(deactivated member)
on 9/7/11 1:53 am
 i was considered a light weight too.My drs weight goal for me was 85 lbs.my personal goal is 100.i didnt tell too many people.7 in total.when people ask i tell them diet and exercise which is not a lie.i live in a small town so i didnt want the rumor mill going.I am also 5'5 and have lost 70ish lbs since my sugery on may 26 of this year.
way to go on choosing to do this. i hope my comments help

Newfie99999
CarolC8235
on 9/7/11 1:59 am
I had ninety pounds to lose, also. Got the same response from people.  Having lost the same 50+ pounds about four times and with my health declining, I felt the RNY was my best option.  I am ony 5'1 1/2" but have lost 40 pounds in almost four months. Remember, the less you have to lose, the slower it comes off.   After the surgery, I am off my insulin pump and no longer need my three blood pressure pills, so I feel it has already been a success.  I have gone froma size 18 to a loose size 12 and still losing.  Looking back, I wish I hadn't told as many people as I did.  If you have never been overweight, you just don't understand.
InkdSpEdTchr
on 9/7/11 2:33 am
Yeah, lots of people will hate on you cuz they're jealouse that you have so little to lose- I know I wish I would had surgery before I let myself get to almost 400lbs!

But there is a lightweights board for your people here on OH:

Lightweights

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/wls_lightweights/

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

ladybugnessa
on 9/7/11 2:42 am - Owings Mills, MD
I was 256 the morning of surgery with a goal of 169 (I have blown past that by 30 pounds)... I told everyone... I guess it's the way I handle it in that NO ONE DARED question my choice...  and those that did express a distate for the surgical choice I made were summarily dismissed as unimportant to me.

Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

AnneGG
on 9/7/11 4:20 am
I was another lightweight (100 lbs to lose) and got the same response from several people re: not being heavy enough. All I can say is that I am very grateful for my surgery. I've been at goal for several months, and I could not have done it on my own. My health has improved so much!

What I have said when people ask about my weight loss depends on the person asking. Diet and exercise is the truth, and often all that I say.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

MEZ
on 9/7/11 5:49 am - Wilmington, NC
Thank you all for your helpful responses! I will definitely check out the buddy group...
Eliza55
on 9/7/11 9:51 am - PA
I had 109 lbs to lose at my consult, and then lost a bunch of weight and lots of inches during all the required medical clearances, so all the other bariatric patients thought I was too thin.  I liked the PA, who brought me back to reality - and asked me why I was there, and what I hoped to get out of the surgery.  And she was right - from the outside, you can't tell I have uncontrolled GERD, Sleep Apnea, high cholesterol, prediabetes, and borderline high blood presssure....But that's why I had RNY.  And the GERD is under control, blood pressure is normal, blood sugar is normal, and I'm less than half-way to goal!
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Most Active
Recent Topics