I'm hating protein shakes now! Help!

Massagelady
on 9/8/11 2:27 pm, edited 9/9/11 4:36 am
 I was doing ok with the protein shakes but the last week or so they have just tasted vile to me!  Whats going on?  Any ideas on how to get them down?

thanks!

poet_kelly
on 9/8/11 2:39 pm - OH
How far out from surgery are you?

You could try a different brand or a different way of making them.  How have you been making them?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/8/11 3:10 pm - OH
Try different brands and/or different flavors, try mixing them with something different (especially if you are mixing them with water... many of them taste much better mixed with milk), try adding things to them to make them tastier (SF syrups, for example), and try drinking them with straw (because it comes in less contact with the tongue, you will taste it less).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

fatfreemama
on 9/8/11 3:10 pm, edited 9/8/11 3:11 pm - San Jose, CA
In the beginning, I could only get them down if I dilute them. I have a 32 ounce bottle, would mix vanilla protein protein, one cup of non-fat milk, cinnamon, fill with ice to the 3 cup mark then top off with water. Shake well. They were cold and watered down and it was the only way I could take it.

Lately I love having protein hot mochas. I mix 3/4 to 1 cup of non-fat milk with chocolate protein powder, add a packet of sugar free hot cocoa, some sugar free syrup like Kalua or caramel or peppermint, mix well then add some instant decaf coffee (I like Folgers), and boiling water. I make this in a 3 cup mug so I get 3 cups of fluid too.

Another favorite is making a protein frappachino in my magic bullet. Or a protein smoothie.

Good luck.
Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

BugdocMom
on 9/8/11 3:16 pm - CA
Same thing happened to me. I sampled the flavors and invested in a few tubs of the flavors I was sure I liked. THEN my tastes changed and I hate them all!! Had to buy other flavors. Fruity flavors work best for me now. 4EverFit has a cranrazz flavor that I can easily tolerate now.
Massagelady
on 9/9/11 4:35 am, edited 9/9/11 4:35 am
 thanks for all the advice!  I have been mixing them with water and SF syrups.  I will try to experment with some of your suggestions.  Although my Doc says no milk?  it seems like most everyone else on here is using FF milk.  Hummmm

poet_kelly
on 9/9/11 9:19 am - OH
Why does your doc say no milk?

I think most protein shakes are much better with milk than with water.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Massagelady
on 9/9/11 3:47 pm
 I have know idea why, except that milk turns to suger fast.  I'll have to ask that of my Nut when I see her!  I love milk and really wasn't liking not having it.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 256 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 270 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 272 views