Potassium Issue - HELP!

wynter57
on 9/9/11 3:50 am - Panama City, FL
Ok, some of you may know from my previous posts that I am a BIG BABY!! Ok, I admit it, when it comes to trying to eat or drink things that are gross and make me gag, YES, I'm a big baby.

I'm REALLY trying here but again, if something makes me gag or I end up throwing up because of it, it's really not doing me any good.

This is my situation.

I am on Spironolactone 25mg. I have been on this for probably about a year or a little more. Started because of my huge weight gain over the past three years and my blood pressure was a little high and I had swelling in my feet and ankles. I was first on the Spironolactone 25mg with HCTZ 25mg due to that swelling but can't remember why, my doctor changed me to the Spironolactone 25mg.

Anyway, I've had low potassium in the past (pre-RNY) and I was given potassium pills to fix the issue and it did and I was taken off the potassium.

This was not a big deal pre-RNY because I could take those big horse pills then.

While I was in the hospital they saw that I am again low on potassium, I had a 3.2 when I think normal is like 3.5 to 5.0 or something like that.

My surgeon prescribed Pottassium Chloride 20MEQ Extended Release tablets to be taken twice daily CRUSHED UP.

I've read that we are not supposed to crush up or cut Extended Release tablets, not to mention I had the same issue with gagging due to crushing up these GROSS tasting HUGE horse pills! My surgeon is a very experienced surgeon, but I am a little concerned about that prescription!

So, I asked for another form of potassium and the Bariatric Doctor in my surgeons office gave me a prescription for Potassium Chloride Liquid 20 MEQ once per day. It says to dilute it in about 4-5 ounces of water and that is a HUGE amount when this stuff is gross and makes you gag!!!

I know there are those here who would say "suck it up and stop being a baby" and trust me, I don't want to be a baby and I know that I need to take it, but there HAS to be a better way. And again, if I throw it up, I won't get the benefit of it anyway.

Is this liquid potassium something I could perhaps put in sugar free jello and hope it takes that gross flavor away? Would putting this liquid in sugar free jello alter the potassium and not make it work for me?

Is 3.2 for potassium horrible? I don't want to die from being low on potassium, but I'm looking for suggestions. Are there any other forms of potassium that are not so disgusting?

Thank you!!!
Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

poet_kelly
on 9/9/11 4:08 am - OH
What about chopping the big horse pills into a few pieces and swallowing them?

Really, with potassium, you MUST get it in.  You can have very serious heart problems if your potassium is too low.

If you can't chop up the horse pills and swallow them that way, I would mix the liquid in small amount (not four ounces) or whatever you want and try to get it down in one or two gulps (and yes, I know gulping miay not feel good right now).

No, it won't do you any good if you actually throw it back up.  But if you can keep it down, even if you gag and feel like you're going to throw up, that's no fun but at least you'd be getting the potassium.

When I had to drink protein drinks I did not like, or when I have to take medicine I really hate, I try to do something to distract myself at the same time.  Like put on a favorite movie and read a really good book and try not to think about the disgusting stuff I'm drinking.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dan OBrien
on 9/9/11 4:24 am - FL
Wynter, I feel for you.  I would really try to stick with the pills.  Ask your doc about the crushing the pills or cutting them up like Kelly said.  I know about that liquid.  I was low in the hospital and they made me drink that, and then wanted me to drink some again right before discharge, which I refused (turned out it was the right thing to do, because my surgeon said I didn't need it).  You might try mixing it with some juice - Ocean Spray makes a Splenda sweetened cranberry and a few other flavors.  But that stuff is just plain nasty.  See about those pills - maybe call the pharmacy and see if they come in smaller pills that you could take in more quantity.

Good Luck!
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

wynter57
on 9/9/11 5:31 am - Panama City, FL
I'm going to try the cranberry juice and see how that goes.

Thanks Dan!
Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

sumueulu
on 9/9/11 4:25 am
You can open the extended day release capsules and empty them in something. I had a real problem with this post op, b/c I couldnt stand the tasted and I had a lot of side effects from low potassiun, not fun. What I ended up doing was either emptying the capsule in applesause or a small yogurt, something that I didnt have to chew. It worked out fine. But most importantly, you MUST take it.
wynter57
on 9/9/11 5:27 am - Panama City, FL
sumueulu, thank you for your advice, I'll see if I can try some of these ideas from the good folks who have posted.

May I ask how low your potassium was when you were having these side effects and what side effects you were having?

Thanks so much, this forum is so very helpful!!
Wynter

Paul C.
on 9/9/11 5:55 am - Cumming, GA
The reason you are not supposed to crush extended release is that it breaks down the components that make it extended release.  Post RNY this is a non issue for some things as we can't utilize XR medications because they aren't in our systems long enough to get the full benefit. 

So the crushing or openening caps for some XR things are perfectly fine.  You need to check with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure that you won't have an advrse effect from getting to much of the active ingredient.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
sumueulu
on 9/9/11 6:00 am
I didnt get it tested to know, but if I would miss a few days of the pills, I would get cramps and weakness in my legs. If I didnt take them for an ext time (like a week or more), the pain and weakness in my legs was so bad, expecially after sitting for so long. I would get up and be hunched over taking baby steps until I stretched out. Then it started to affect my memory. Not something you want to play around with. I only had to take the supplements for 4 months post op, Im fine now but if you experience anything like that, chances are it's the potassium deficiency.
bunnicash
on 9/9/11 6:53 am - Sedalia, MO
I have to take the liquid kind also and you right I have NEVER had problems gagging down medicine but this stuff is the grossest stuff EVER.
  ~ Be the change you want to see in the world                                        Ashley                                           
hlacy
on 9/9/11 8:20 am - Chandler, AZ
I had to take the liquid post-op...NASTY. Like drinking pure salt, even diluted. I only had to take it for a week, but I suspect I need it again because I am getting RLS at night, which is symptomatic of low potassium. 

I would recommend sticking with the pills and cutting them up smaller as Kelly suggested. That liquid is horrid and made me nauseous for an hour each time I took it. Talk to your pharmacist about mixing into other foods (the liquid) or cutting up the pills - they will be able to tell you the necessity of keeping them whole or not.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics