Carbs and Sugar Alcohol Questions?

InkdSpEdTchr
on 9/9/11 2:59 am
I am no nut, and I can't speak for everyone, but I am on OH daily...with that in mind...

I think the key is staying away from simple carbs (the white stuff; flour, rice, pasta ect...) as long as possible. I believe that most surgeons recommend staying away from them for at least 6months to a year if possible to maximize weight loss. So I don't eat anything where the first 5 ingredients is sugar, nor do I eat anything that has more than 10gm of sugar or sugar alcohol...but that's just me!

You're not even a month out, so you should really be focusing on getting your protein in, and everything else is secondary because your pouch is so small. I don't see anything wrong with a SF pudding, esp if you put some protein powder in it!

Like Nik said, there really isn't a magic number of acceptable carbs, but if you are only eating lean protein, and veggies I wouldn't even bother counting them.

:Danni

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

Cynthia L.
on 9/9/11 6:25 am - Clarence, NY
Great guidelines, thanks so much.

-Cyn

chrissie_hynde_kitty_std-2-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castleBad boys get spanked. - Chrissie Hynde Lifeposter-1.jpg picture by Queen-of-the-castle

poet_kelly
on 9/9/11 3:11 am - OH
There are numerous different ideas about carbs.  I've heard people explain why they believe we need very low carbs and other people explain why we need more carbs than that, both sounding very reasonable to me.  I know what seems to work for me but I don't have an opinion that I think ought to apply to everyone with regard to carbs (unlike I do about, say, what kind of calcium we should take).

I've never counted carbs.  I limit the starchy stuff like bread, rice and pasta.  I eat it sometimes, and go for whole grain bread, brown rice, etc when it's available.  I just don't eat lots of it.  I don't worry a bit about carbs in stuff like milk and beans.  It's worked for me.

As far as sugar alcohols, some people don't tolerate them well, kinda just like some people don't tolerate sugar well.  They don't bother me so I don't pay attention to how many are in things very much anymore.

Personally, if putting the protein in pudding is the only way you can get the protein down, I would make that my priority even if it meant getting more carbs than I really liked.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pouch_potato
on 9/9/11 3:15 am - PA
Danni thanks for posting that carb info. I've been really confused about it too.

Wynter, FWIW I avoid sugar alcohols like the plague because they make me sick. I prefer to eat foods with small amounts of natural sugar. I agree with the other posters - at this stage just focus on protein, protein, protein and fluids so you develop those habits for when you start adding foods. The carbs will take care of themselves for now.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Notes:
(deactivated member)
on 9/9/11 4:02 am - Front Royal, VA
RNY on 08/29/11 with

Hi

Try Unjury unflavored protein powder, its awesome and tasteless, so you can add it to anything.  Also, the chicken soup they sell is GREAT

http://www.unjury.com/

Good luck finding a source that agrees with you!

Mary

Jenni_9yrspostop
on 9/9/11 7:54 am
My doc suggested 45 gms of carbs per day were plenty. He did stress "good carbs" though so I'm thinking fruits and veggies, not bowls of mac and cheese? I try to stick to that guideliine as I know we can gain so quickly on carbs and for me they're a big no no. I seem to hang on to the carb grams and associated calories. A few carbs here and there are ok but not what I was eating before. My meals are still protein forward or protein only and it works for me.

Jen
10 yrs post op RNY
YankeeRose
on 9/9/11 8:42 am - Meadville, PA
I was told by my Nut and my surgeon, to keep carbs below 20 per meal. And like others have already mentioned, I stay away from all white carbs and occassionaly eat whole grains like Triscuits or WW flat bread. Most of my carbs come from veggies and fruit. I don't really worry about SA's. I believe the difference between the pudding cups and the instant pudding, is that the instant pudding has artifical sweetners like aspartame or splenda whereas SA's are the words ending in "titol" such as maltitol, sorbitol, etc. There's something about the SA's that can cause diarrhea, cramping, etc (even in non-WLS people). I know whenever I used to eat SF chocolate candy that had SA's them (prior to WLS) I would always get diarrhea.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 486 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?