How much protein can we absorb at one time?

Trish S.
on 9/12/11 11:02 am - Upstate , NY
I have been reading about Protein and how much RNYers need.  I have read that only 25-50% of any nutrient/calories/supplements (depending on the length of the bypass) is absorbed.  I have read about bioavailability in protein supplements, etc.  So, I guess what I am asking is..... If I only eat/drink 80 -100 grams of protein throughout the day......will I actually only absorb 20-50 grams of protein?  Do I need to have 100-150 grams of protein to actually get what I need?

And I have read  posts at one time about a myth regarding more than 20 grams at a time not being absorbed......I have a friend who had DS/GS/BPD....and she is constantly telling me that you can't absorb more than 20 grams at a time, so anything more is wasted..... I hope it's a myth.  

I haven't been able to find anything online regarding the limit of what we can absorb at one time.....So, actually I have two questions......I appreciate any and all information that you might have.  I'm just trying to have my ducks in a row before my surgery date..... I'd like to know your thoughts on this.....

Thank you... in advance.

Trish

“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?

poet_kelly
on 9/12/11 11:10 am - OH
How much of macronutrients, like protein, we absorb varies a bit from person to person.  Not only does the amount of intestine bypassed affect the amount we absorb, as time goes on our intestine adapts so we begin to absorb more of those things.   I don't know how you could determine how much you absorb at any given time, but I feel certain it's more than 25 - 50%.  My labs show I am getting enough protein and I eat about 70 grams a day - If I was absorbing 35 grams or less, I don't think my labs would be so good.

As far as how much we can absorb at one time, the ASMBS says the idea that we can only absorb 30 grams or so at a time is a myth.  So your friend is mistaken.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Trish S.
on 9/12/11 11:13 am - Upstate , NY
Thanks Kelly, I knew I could count on you!!!!
“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?

Price S.
on 9/12/11 12:24 pm - Mills River, NC
I do 120-145g of protein a day between food and shakes.  My protein hangs around 6.5 and my surgeon thought I needed it up more before I get my knee replaced.  So I'm trying to stay closer to the 145 these days.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/11 1:05 pm - FL
I have read on multiple sites and from my NUT that most people can't absorb more than 40g of protein at any one time.  That doesn't mean you absorb that much as an RNY person, but 40g is the supposed limit and there should be 2-3 hours between consumption of the next round of protein.  I know they have put my goal at between 91 and 108g per day.  It is based on height and gender.  Also, not all proteins are made the same.  We need things like whey protein.  I know these 42g-58g protein shots you see don't work well with us because they have a different kind of protein that RNYers can't absorb well and you can't really benefit from more than 40 usually anyway. 
Kim H.
on 9/12/11 9:55 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
See my post below...

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Lisa E.
on 9/12/11 1:27 pm - Fontana, CA
  Through my options classes at Kaiser they told us after surgery our bodies can only absorb 30 grams of protein at one time. They never said anything about any percentages.. 
Good Luck, Lisa     

poet_kelly
on 9/12/11 1:54 pm - OH
I wonder what they are basing that 30 gram thing on?  And why they disagree with the ASMBS, which says that is just a myth?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisa E.
on 9/12/11 2:17 pm - Fontana, CA
 IDK If they disagreed they just never told us anything about a percentage.. They just told us anymore then 30 grams of protein at one time would not be absorbed.  IDK where they get there info but I am following what I was told and I try to get at least my 60 grams of protein in a day generally I get more like 70 and hope I am absorbing it LOL
Good Luck, Lisa     

Kim H.
on 9/12/11 9:54 pm - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
This is from the "ASMBS Allied Health Nutritional Guidelines for the Surgical Weight
Loss Patient" (see link to article below and look on page S95): "One popular myth is that only 30 g/hr of protein can be absorbed. Although this is commonly found in both lay and some professional literature, there is no scientific basis for this claim. It is possible that, from a volume standpoint, patients might only realistically consume 30 g/meal of protein during the first year."

Link in pub med: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18490202

I can't seem to open the link directly to the page. Just google "ASMBS Allied Health Nutritional Guidelines for the Surgical Weight Loss Patient" and you should be able to find the pdf. It's a good reference.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Most Active
Recent Topics