Update on the blood in my urine

Samantha L.
on 9/19/11 2:54 pm - Petaluma, CA
I went to the ER today.  I really should have gone earlier, but I was hoping to find any way to avoid adding another bill to the pile. 

It turns out that I have a UTI, a kidney infection and kidney stones.  Super. 

I am taking AZO for the symptoms (so I can pee without crying) and I pick up my script in the morning. 

I am nervous about passing the stones.  The doctor warned me that it was going to HURT.  Ugh. 

Wish me luck.

Susan_U
on 9/19/11 3:03 pm - Ontario, CA
Good luck!  Man, you got the triple whammy, didn't you?     Didn't the doctor prescribe anything for the pain while passing the stones?
Samantha L.
on 9/19/11 3:11 pm - Petaluma, CA
No.  Actually, all he said was that the pain could be as bad as a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.    The doctor only really spoke to me for a minute.   I was in the ER for almost 5 hours.

No insurance = less enthusiastic care.  =[ 

AnneGG
on 9/19/11 3:17 pm
Wishing you courage! This sucks, especially the stones part. But at least you know what's going on.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Samantha L.
on 9/19/11 3:25 pm - Petaluma, CA
Thanks, you guys!  I can't wait until it's all over and done with. 

poet_kelly
on 9/19/11 4:32 pm - OH
I've never had kidney stones but I know they can be very painful.  I think sometimes they aren't that bad, though.  Maybe you'll be lucky.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

losing-jennifer
on 9/20/11 2:39 am
My stepfather gets kidney stones and yes he goes through hell. But there are procedures out there to break them up so they pass easier. Find a doctor specializing in them and look for ways to pass them with less pain.
Jen
HW 254  SW 242  CW 148
**Down 106 pounds from highest weight!**

rbb825
on 9/21/11 11:41 pm - Suffern, NY
I am sorry that you are going through this - having insurance makes it tougher. Do you qualify for medicaid?

Kidney stones are a tough thing to go through =  I have been suffering through them since July and probably longer but that is when I was diagnosed.  The problem is you need certain tests to see where they are, how many there are and how big they are.  Did they do a CT scan?  This is really the only true test to get all the necessary information.  Some doctors or ER's will only do a KUB which is an xray but this doesn't show all types of stones and it doesn't give them all the necessary information. IT is good for followups after you have the initial diagnosis.  I went in for my CT scan and they discovered that I had 2 medium sized stones on the left obstructing my ureters and numerous on the right side also medium sized but not obstructing. They are all too large to pass.  I needed emergency surgery for the left side since they were obstructing the utereters, they were causing my kidneys to swell from the blockage upwards.  This is all done by a urologist.  Maybe you can find one that is willing to work with you - a payment plan or something but you need to find out because if it is too large to pass, you can end up with kidney damage.  They are also extremely painful and you need pain killers - whether you are passing them or just living with them.  Now I am scheduled for my second surgery on October 19th for the other side and hopefully I will be done with it.  In the meantime, I was sent to a nephrologist who is doing 24 hours urine testing to see what is causing my stones, so I can either change my diet or supplements to prevent future stones. 

It is imperitive that you get the necessary treatment for this - please don't just wait to pass them - make sure you can pass them.  Try getting some pyridium over the counter for the pain while urinating - it helps but turns your urine orange.

also, check out litholink.com they have tons of information on kidney stones - this is where I sent my urine to be analyzed but I got tons of information on the site about stones, diet etc.

feel free to write me any time with questions   good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics