Low iron

Cherylkas
on 9/24/11 12:46 am - PA
I had my labs taken on Thursday. I got a call from my docs office sayig my iron is 24 and that I need to up my iron to twice a day for 2 wks . Then they will test again to see if it goes up. If not then they are going to bring me in and discuss options. Anyone know what those would be?

They are still waiting on most of the rest of my labs and then will post my results to the site they have. 
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

poet_kelly
on 9/24/11 1:11 am - OH
Options would be switching to a different type of iron, or iron infusions.  Usually they don't do infusions unless your ferritin is also very low.  But with your iron that low, your ferritin is probably low too.

What kind of iron have you been taking?  How much?  Do you take it with vitamin C?  At least two hours away from calcium?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cherylkas
on 9/24/11 1:30 am - PA
 I take carbonyl iron 50 mg (vegetarian formula) a day. Which I thought was enough. I do take it with 500 of vit C like I was told. I take my calcium at 7 and my iron at 930-10ish. Does that sound ok? 

I had iron problems when I was pregnant with all of my kids as well and they just had me take extra iron. 
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

poet_kelly
on 9/24/11 1:45 am - OH
Yeah it sounds OK.  I think doubling the iron might help.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tammy0822
on 9/24/11 11:07 am - Kings Park, NY
I take Iron 4x a day.... its nasty but I am no longer amemic....  I take bariatric advantage chewables...

SW:220 HW:267 CW:152 GW:120

rbb825
on 9/24/11 4:42 pm - Suffern, NY
being they are only giving you 2 weeks, you don't have time to get different iron.  50mg of carbonyl iron with 500mg of vitamin C is the right combination but not nearly enough especially with an iron level of 24.  I wish I knew the rest of your numbers - ferritin, iron Sat%, hemoglogin, hemacrit, mcv, b12, folate, B1, b6?

If you want your iron to increase in 2 weeks, I would take 3 or 4 per day, not 2.  My NUT starts all post ops on 150mg per day and that is without deficiencies.  You need to take 200mg of vitamin C for every 30mg of iron, so you can figure out the correct vitamin C.

If you get the chance to continue on iron, the best carbonyls are from vitalady.com they are called tender irons, they have 60mg per capsule and have they necessary vitamin C in the capsule.  They are easy on the stomach and dont' cause constipation.  They are also very easily absorbed.  People take up to 5 per day - all in one dose.  As far as how to take - you need to space them atleast 2-4 hours away from calcium and thyroid medication - you listed 2 1/2 hours apart, so maybe try increasing that a bit to see if you can absorb it better.  Also if you take thyroid medication, make sure that isn't within the same time frame.

The next step is proferrin, which is heme iron.  You get these at the same place but they are much more expensive but supposed to work better. You have to break them in half.  Most people them in addition to the tenders and they work well in conjuntion - 2 at a time with calcium.

If neither of these steps work, the final step is to get Iron infusions and that means going to a hematologist but that is a last resort. Try the tender irons first - 3  at a time to start and see what happens and increase if needed

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 193 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 115 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 193 views