OMG! I found a way to get all of my protein in!

Samantha L.
on 9/25/11 3:23 pm - Petaluma, CA
  I have serious trouble with getting all of my protein (and calories) in every day.  I have found a few ways to make protein shakes that I like alright, but they always made me feel so bloaty afterwards.. so, honestly, I haven't been drinking them like I should. 
  Ok.  I found a recipe online for a German Chocolate Cake shake and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!  

2 scoops of chocolate protein powder (I used Body Fortress Cookies n Cream, because it's what I had in the house). 
T. of coconut cream (I didn't have any, so I used actual coconut.  Just a little goes a LONG way)
12 ounces of water
4 ice cubes
2 T. of heavy cream
I added some unsweetened cocoa powder (because I didn't have actual chocolate protein powder)

Blend.  Blend some more. 

It gets a little frothy on the top because of the heavy cream, but I poured it into my big coffee cup that has a straw.. so the froth stays on top and I drink from the bottom.  It's not sickly sweet, it's not too thick... It's just YUMMY!  This could replace my morning coffee!  (Ok, maybe not.  The relationship I have with my morning coffee is intense.. it might actually be illegal in some states).  This runs a close second to my coffee, though.  AND.. it's packed with 52g of protein. 
  I am so happy!!

Alexandra R.
on 9/25/11 4:25 pm - Naples, FL
I'm gonna have to try this! I'm desperate to find something that works. Every shake I've tried has made me sick.
HW: 280 SW: 260 CW: 152 GW: 125

Samantha L.
on 9/25/11 5:21 pm - Petaluma, CA
  Kelly suggests drinking from a cup with a lid.. like a lidded coffee cup.  It helps cut down on the protein smell.  I have tried this.  It helps.
 Unjury makes a Chicken Soup protein powder.  If you go with the above tip (so you can't smell the protein) it tastes pretty much like the juice from a pack of chicken ramen.   That might work for you. 
  Another suggestion I took from Kelly (I SWEAR this woman is a genius!) is to get unflavored protein powder and just put a scoop of it out in a small bowl.  Then throughout the day add a little bit of it to each of your drinks.  (I added it to my iced coffee).  Make it your goal to just get the entire scoop mixed in to things throughout the day.  Then you have effortlessly added 20g of protein to your day.  (I used Unjury unflavored.. I got sample packets to try it out.  It was great.)
  My final suggestion to you would be to make your protein drink with PB2 or, if you can't afford to get that, then just regular peanut butter.  It seems (at least to me) to counteract the protein flavor (which to me smells and tastes like milk that's gone bad).  
  I am sure that Nik has some recipes on her site that you will find helpful.  She is the queen of finding ways to make stuff taste.. well, not like poo.  (It's ok, Nik.. it's a compliment).  

Nessy2976
on 9/25/11 7:13 pm, edited 9/25/11 7:13 pm - MD
 Sounds so yummy!!!  Anything over 40 grams gets flushed.  It still packs half your protein though, so that is a PLUS! I love trying new mixes....Thanks!!!!!
 "Patience is bitter, but the fruit can be sweet."                            
poet_kelly
on 9/25/11 7:38 pm - OH
According to the ASMBS, that is just a myth that we can only absorb a certain amount of protein at a time.  It does not get flushed, it gets used.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Nessy2976
on 9/25/11 8:47 pm - MD
 WOW, that is good to know!   There are so many conflicting things on here. I read almost every post and it seems there is always something different.  I love when you post, Kelly, thanks!
 "Patience is bitter, but the fruit can be sweet."                            
ktharp89
on 9/26/11 12:16 am - Gaithersburg, MD
 This sounds great!! Thanks for posting this!!!

Height - 5'8  - SW - 292/ CW - 177.6 /GW - 150 - BMI - 27.1 - 114.4 lbs lost!
"The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore" Vincent Van Gogh
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 116 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?