Best chewable one a day vitamin for Bariatric patients?

Renee2be
on 9/25/11 9:07 pm - NC

My dietician told me they were out there?  Does anyone here take them?  If so how are they?  are they nasty?  My sense of taste and smell are intesified since surgery.

Price S.
on 9/25/11 9:22 pm - Mills River, NC
I've never heard of any that we aren't suppose to take 2x a day.  Yes, for normal folks, they are 1x a day but for us it is 2x a day.  Maybe I just missed it.

I like the CVS generic of Centrum silver.  It taste better than the Centrum to me.  Doesn't have iron but that doesn't matter to me cause I have never needed Iron.  You can get them on sale frequently for BOGO free.  I get my non-chewable calcuim citrate from them also.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

AnneGG
on 9/25/11 10:11 pm
I do the generic CVS Centrum Silver, too. They don't taste bad at all.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

ladybugnessa
on 9/25/11 10:39 pm - Owings Mills, MD
no such thing we need at least 2 a day of even bariatric multi.  then we need to add iron and D3 and calcium and  b12  at the minimum....

also you can if you prefer do pills that swallow... I prefer chewables and either use bariatric advantage or Centrum Silver
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

Renee2be
on 9/25/11 10:53 pm - NC
I am 17 days out from surgery, and my beloved preop horse pill is not so beloved at the moment~lol  I am trying the one a day gummies 3 times a day and i have calcium chew with vit d that i take 2 times a day.  TIme i take my vitamins theres no room for anything else.   I have also gotten to where my stomach rolls at the thought of G2 or Powerade,  broth you can forget it.  I have had that til its runnung out my ears.......lol  My surgery center doesnt like for us to drink the vita waters but,  its the only thing besides decaffinated tea and straigh****er that doesnt make my stomach lurch at the thought.

poet_kelly
on 9/26/11 12:40 am - OH
The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says we need 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate a day, and we can only absorb about 500 mg at a time, so you'd need to take your calcium three or four times a day.  What brand are you taking?

If you're going to use the one a day gummies, you'll need to add some additional vitamins to make up for what they are missing.   Let's see, you'll need some thiamin, some B2, some B3, some copper, some selenium, magnesium, potassium, vitamin K... by the time you get all those down, you won't have room for anything else!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

D-J
on 9/26/11 12:26 am
My office doesn't want us using gummies or flintstone,not sure whether the gummies get stuck or are just not enough for what we need, i know the not enough is the reason they gave me for the flintstone ones,we are to use the centrum or generic of centrum,,bariatric advantage or celebrations chewables,, but every doc is different,,LOL
poet_kelly
on 9/26/11 12:35 am - OH
There are no one a day vites that have everything we need in them.  If your dietician thinks they are out there, she is mistaken.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Renee2be
on 9/26/11 12:58 am - NC
I found the paper she wrote it on. Opurity?  they also ave a calcium vit d chew that can take 2x a day,  which i do now with my calci chews from vita world.  ar anyone tried the Opurity?

poet_kelly
on 9/26/11 2:44 am - OH
They do not have everything we need.  You might wanna ask her why she thinks you do not need any vitamin  K, phosphorus, iodine, mangenese or potassium.  They also have a form of vitamin D we don't absorb well and half of the vitamin A is from beta carotene, which we do not absorb.

As far as the calcium, they do not have a chew that can be taken twice a day if you want to get the 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate we need.  Since we can only absorb about 500 mg at a t ime, we must take calcium three or four times a day.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views