Negative 4 Vitamin D level

aclay
on 10/4/11 11:15 pm - MA

Last week I ended up in the ER w/severe dizziness for 3 days and a slight headache.  They also said a slight uti.  They did labs so I gave them my slip for my 4 month f/u labs from gastic doctor while they were at it.  They also gave me a CT Scan that came out normal.   All my labs came back normal except vit d it was negative 4.  I take the vitalady dry d3 50,000 every other day for the last 3 months???!!!!     b12 was 1513.  So they put me on a med for uti and gave me fiorcet for headache/meclazine for dizziness.  I just went to my pcp yesterday because still not feeling good and uti is still there.  So she gave me new script for antibiotics, but she is not sure what to do about the vit d considering i'm taking that much already if I start more she said it could be toxic.  Luckily I am seeing my gastric dr tomorrow for my 4 month f/u, but it's not the one who did the surgery it's someone else taking over because she is pregnant.

jazzycatz
on 10/4/11 11:33 pm - Joppa, MD
I am not sure why your D level would be so low after taking 50,000 iu's everyday for the last 3 months.  But I do know that it is really difficult for a "normal" person to build up a toxic level of vitamin D in their system.  Starting with a negative level and a bypass I think you would have to take a few million IU's a day for a bit to reach toxicity.  Perhaps she was afraid of an inaccurate lab result.  Are they doing the test again? 

Do you take any extra magnesium?  That's pretty important in the D processing. 

Oh Kelly.....
aclay
on 10/5/11 12:18 am - MA
Hi.  No i dont take extra MG I didnt' realize I had to.  She did mention at whole foods that there is a liquid vit d3 that maybe i could take. She kind of just left me in the dark and said wait till tomorrow when I see gastric dr.  But, this was my schedule:

AM:
biotin 5000
prilosec
2 centrum silver
2 citracal
vitalady dry d3 50,000 (3x a week)
sub b complex w/b12

AFTERNOON:
2 citrical

PM:
65mg elem. iron
w/c

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 12:41 am - Boston, MA
 I have never heard of a negative d level.. maybe it was a faulty test and they should redo it?  You should email vitalady.  You can't go toxic with dry d3 it's water soluble.. when my level was low I took 50,000 daily for 5 months now my level is over 100 and I take it 2x per week now.  Email vitalady and see what she says.
jazzycatz
on 10/5/11 12:30 am, edited 10/5/11 12:31 am - Joppa, MD

Most don't really have to take a seperate magnesium, I don't think.  I do but it also helps with calcium and keeping you regular (sorry, TMI) and those 2 reasons are the primary ones I take 2 -500mg caps a day when I take my calcium.

But I did remember reading that it also played an important role in our bodies use of D.  So if you are not processing your D well that might help some. 

But that negative result...I just keep thinking something happened to that test.  Emailing vitalady is excellent advice from Dave. 

Dave Chambers
on 10/5/11 12:08 am - Mira Loma, CA

I've heard of low D labs, but never anything in the negative numbers. I had an 8 post op for D.  I tried the script D, which only improved the D level to an 14 over 24 weeks. I then began taking liquid vitmins with 600 IU dry D3 in it and my D went to a 33 in 5 weeks. I then began using the 50K IU dry D3 from Vitalady, taking one 4 times a week.  After 2+ years, my D labs were then at a 65.  I now take one 50 K IU dry D3 daily and am due for annual labs in a 2-3 weeks.  You might try to write a PM to vitalady to see if she can answer.  I wonder if you D labs were "messed up", due to the negative numbers?  I've been on this forum for over 5 years, and never seen a post with levels that low, especially on the 50K IU dry D3.  You might consult you PCP or surgeon about this D issue. YES, it's very important to get your D levels up to better numbers, ideally at 80-90 on labs.  YES, bring up your D issues, as the FIRST ITEM for discussion.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

poet_kelly
on 10/5/11 12:48 am - OH
I've never heard of a negative vitamin D level.  I'm not sure how that would work.  The test measures how much vitamin D is in your blood.  How can there be a negative amount in your blood?  It's like, when we look at food labels to see how much sugar is in something.  There could be zero sugar, but how could there by negative something sugar?

Anyway, I would definitely email vitalady for her advice.  And I would ask them to repeat the test to make sure it's accurate.

Taking more D3 will NOT cause you to develop toxicity.  I would at least start taking the 50,000 IU daily.  The liquid at Whole Foods will be a smaller dose than what you're on now and so it won't help much.  If 50,000 IU is not helping much, one-tenth of that will definitely not help.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kim H.
on 10/5/11 12:54 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
Why not start going to the tanning salon and do a short 5 minutes 3 x week and see if that helps? Do make sure you get both UVA nad UVB to get the maximum benefit. Also, add some cod liver oil to your diet. Did they check your calcium level? You may also want to get a bone scan because your low levels will prevent absorption of that, too. Keep us posted!!!!

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
aclay
on 10/5/11 2:41 am - MA
Thank you so much everyone!!!  I called my pcp asked if after work today I can take another test and she said no problem. So I'm going today.  Also she gave me a script for the pharmacy vit d and said obvoiusly the one you bought from vitalady isn't working so I should try them she said.  I'll PM vitalady first though.  You guys are awesome w/help and suggestions!!!  I'll let you know what happens 2morrow also after gastic doc.!  Thank you !!!
poet_kelly
on 10/5/11 3:37 am - OH
the prescription will NOT help.  It's D2 and we need D3.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.