Mood Swings??

Brandi S.
on 10/4/11 11:50 am - TX
I am 5 days pre op and I'm having the WORST mood swings. I'm emotional, wanna cry or sleep, argue with my husband a lot... I'm angry at stuff I don't understand and have such an indifference to the surgery that I have waited so long to get to. I'm following my pre op diet but my husband says I look like someone shot my dog.. has anyone every experienced such a change in mood before surgery? Is this normal or am I going NUTS?
Dave Chambers
on 10/4/11 11:53 am - Mira Loma, CA

I'm sure your suffering from "pre op anxiety issues" with your impending surgery. Major surgery is emotional for almost anyone.  You're probably doubting your decision, and whether you can modify your lifestyle post op. Years of bad habits are difficult to break in a short time frame.  Good luck. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Sara L.
on 10/4/11 11:58 am
What is your pre-op diet?  Could it be that you are going through carb withdrawal?  I just started my pre-op diet today....5 protein shakes a day.....

You also could be grieving for food, I know I am!

Sara, hoping I don't go nuts this week!

Brandi S.
on 10/4/11 12:11 pm - TX
My pre op diet is 4-5 protein shakes a day, chicken broth and sugar free popsicles. I have been on this diet for about 12 days now.

And yes, I DO miss food lol

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
lilbear412
on 10/4/11 12:43 pm - MN
 Yeah its a big life change your going through and the carb withdrawal is obvious.  I had a tough time with the preop diet days 3 and 4 and then it started to get better after that.  And i noticed after the surgery about week 3 i was "short" with my husband.  I think its just being female and all the hormones and all the changes our body goes through.  You will do fine...we all go through it.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

LJ1972
on 10/4/11 1:00 pm - FL
I was just really tired pre-op, but I am having the mood swings now at 7wks post-op! Wow I am grumpy! I struggle with depression on an average day and it has been amplified... though it is getting reined in some with counseling.

hang in there and talk it out with hubby so he knows it's nothing personal lol
erikapoindexter
on 10/4/11 11:31 pm - VA
I think that the mood swings are really normal.  I was on an emotional roller coaster pre and post off, at various times.  I think your body is anticipating changes, and you are changing your entire set of eating habits, which can be emotionally and physically stressful for you!

Give yourself permission to feel a bit emotional or grouchy!  However, it is nice to have someone in your life that can be a good gauge for how you are reacting or feeling.  If you start to feel like the situation is more than just mood swings, you can always utilize a counselor or support group to help deal with some of the emotions.

We are here if you need support! Best of luck as you prepare for your surgery!  Just remember that it does get better!  You are your best advocate for what you need and how you are feeling!  It may be worth it to keep a journal (if you don't already) of your progress and how you are feeling.  On the days I was really emotional or sad, I would look at my list of thoughts/emotions and remember that the journey was worth it overall, but that doesn't mean its easy!  Good luck! 

Erika :)
Starting weight, 379lbs
Current weight, 175lbs, lowest weight 155lbs

Gastric Bypass: January 4, 2004
Lower body lift: January 2005
Arm and Breast Life: October 2005
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 3 replies · 25 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views