Pre- Op struggle

Awakening
on 10/5/11 4:04 am - GA
I am having surgery next week. I am suppose to be doing high protein shakes to replace meals. I have not been successful and I only have a week to go. Any suggestions? I was really hungry when I tried to just do the shakes
poet_kelly
on 10/5/11 4:09 am - OH
I suggest doing the shakes and being hungry.  Hunger doesn't feel real good, but it won't hurt you.

I suggest calling your surgeon's office if you do not follow the recommended pre-op diet and asking for advice, as well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Awakening
on 10/5/11 4:43 am - GA
I will be having surgery Tuesday but I have been eating at least one meal because I have been hungry. What shakes are you doing?
poet_kelly
on 10/5/11 4:50 am - OH
Yes, I understand from your post that you were not following your surgeon's recommended diet because you were hungry.  My suggestion is to follow the recommended diet even if you are hungry.  I realize that's not easy, but I believe that would be the best thing to do.  I also think you should notify your surgeon that you have not been following the recommended diet and see what he advises.

I don't do shakes very often now.  I am almost three years post op and usually get plenty of protein from food that I eat.  For my pre op diet, I used Atkins ready to drink shakes.  When I do use shakes now, I use a variety.  I like Chike and BSN Lean Dessert protein powders and I like Oh Yeah! ready to drink shakes and Isopure smoothies ready to drink.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Michelle8885
on 10/5/11 4:17 am
what is it about the shakes that are making you not do them. I was struggle at first too. My surgery is next wednesday and well, sunday was really hard for me b/c we went to "family dinner" at my husbands cousins house. they were pretty mean and ate right in front of me and my husband (my husband is doing this with me for motivation)I find that if i eliminate everything that i want from sight, it doesn't bother me. I have to make dinner for my two kids each night and feed my 8 month old food too. Do u know that even baby food looked slighty tastey the other day.
Gotta have some willpower. Now that i'm a week out since i started my shakes, I dont want food anymore. I'm not craving it and i'm not hungry. I think you just gotta get through those first few days of being ok without food. Another thing that is helping me, Jello and sugar free popsicles. they are just the right thing when you some substance. When is your surgery?
Blondie76
on 10/5/11 4:26 am - AL
What they said. It's willpower. Mind over matter. Remove yourself from food....surf the net, do a craft, go for a walk, drink something, whatever it takes to stick with it. I'm on day 6 and doing fine now. I have surgery next thurs. Stick with it and come visit when you need support!!
Sara L.
on 10/5/11 4:45 am
What kind of shakes are you drinking?  I am on the 5 shake a day diet for my pre op diet too.  Last night I had chicken soup from Unjury, not a sweet shake and it tasted wonderful!  This morning I had a Nectar Cappuccino Shake blended with ice, half water half skim milk and it actually tasted good!!  I mean good enough that I would tell someone else to try it!!!  Those ready to drink chocolate and vanilla shakes taste terrible to me, I couldn't drink a whole 8 ounce one on a bet!  I do like the Isopure RTD, cool flavors, fun colors etc. We have them at the vitamin shoppe here, maybe you can look for some at the stores near you.  

You will have to do the pre-op diet or face having your surgery postponed, cancelled or heaven forbid an open incision.  Keep trying to do the shakes, try a different brand.  If your shakes are low carb you should get full on just the shakes after the first day or two.  You just have to power through until that point. 

Use your will, you were motivated enough to get this far....keep it going!  Don't lose your momentum now, you're almost there!

Sara in Maui

Awakening
on 10/5/11 4:51 am - GA
Thanks I have already lost one week so I really needed the help.
samsander
on 10/5/11 6:41 am - CA
I was not so great pre-surgery either.... but I did take the last 5-7 days and made myself be perfect.

I did get one meal a day (a little different than you).... but I was stretching it.

Don't beat yourself up but DO the plan for the next week (like Kelly said... even if you are hungry!).

BTW- If you seriously are hungry, why not have another shake?????

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

missravensmom
on 10/5/11 6:42 am
Hey I think your surgeon wants you to get used to protein shakes and possibly decrease your carb consumption so that he can move your liver to get to the top of your stomach.  I had to do a low carb diet for 2 weeks and then 2 days of liquids prior to surgery.  I had my surgery 1 week ago today. 
Most Active