Tummy Tuck Healing Time

DetroitGirl
on 10/6/11 11:19 am
Hi all,

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place. I couldn't actually find a plastic surgery forum...

I went to see a surgeon about getting a tummy tuck (fleur de lis). Luckily, it will be covered by my insurance, so I can schedule it for anytime... Unfortunately, the surgeon told me it would be 6 weeks before I could return to work and i just don't get that kind of vacation time. Six weeks sounds like forever to me. I work at a desk all day. Can anyone tell me how long it was until they were mobile enough to do desk work again? Is it really 6 weeks?
Krissymk
on 10/6/11 11:30 am
 My boss was out for 2 weeks ... we have desk jobs though.... and was fine.

Dave Chambers
on 10/6/11 11:56 am - Mira Loma, CA
Surgeons likely will have some work restrictions for 2-3 weeks after surgery.  I know that a well know plastic surgeon in my area has his patients drink 75g or so of protein shakes for 30 days prior to surgery. Higher protein levels in the body will decrease healing time.  Your surgeon may require you to wear compression garments for weeks post op too.  From speaking with women in my post op groups who have had tummy tucks, they said they had a somewhat difficult time walking fully upright for a few days post op, due to the tightness of the abdominal surgery.  I so hope you've been at a stable wt for some months.  I know a few women in my support groups who "were in a hurry" for their tummy tucks, and ended up losing additional wt as the surgery was done before their wt had stabilized.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

DetroitGirl
on 10/6/11 12:51 pm
Had my RNY surgery in 07 and have been very stable with my weight for over a year. Protein is an issue for me, so we're doing bloodwork and working on that now, before i schedule surgery...
sudemo09
on 10/6/11 12:56 pm - Dover, NH
If your health insureance covers such a procedure, it is possible that you would be covered under Short Term Disability.  Check out your employers Summary Plan Description to see if cosmetic surgery is an exclusion from STD benefits.

My DH is getting ready for a panniculectomy (surgeon says he does not need the muscle tightening of a TT) and we have been socking away some $ from each check (direct deposit) to cover his unpaid time off.  We know his time off WON'T be covered by STD.

Julie

DebsGiz
on 10/6/11 8:34 pm - FL

I cannot answer your question, but do have one fore you.  How did you get your insurance company to pay for a tummy tuck?  Please let us know who your insurance is with and how you managed this?

Looking forward to your response!!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/7/11 6:15 am - OH
Although there are some exceptions (such a government Tricare insurance), MOST insurance companies will only cover a panniculectomy, not a tummy tuck.  I think the OP needs to double check hers because the standard BC/BS policies specifically exclude abdominoplasty as always cosmetic (and it is hightly unlikely that a company would pay more to add cosmetic procedures to the standard policy cost)

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

DebsGiz
on 10/7/11 8:13 am - FL

Hi ****rogirl!! 

What you are saying is also what I understood as well; therefore, the reason for my  question.  I was so hoping what I understood was wrong. 

However, you've now said something that makes me ask another question of you.  You mentioned TriCare was an exception.  Does TriCare pay for tummy tucks?  I just happen to have TriCare... 

Please share what'ya know!!!!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/7/11 9:13 am - OH
Under SOME cir****tances TriCare does. I  have two friends with it who got theirs covered, but one had a hernia (plastic surgeons will often do a combination panni removal and "hernia repair" that removes excess skin above the navel even under other insurers).  I don't know the other woman well enough to know if she had some other medical condition that qualified her for it.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

DebsGiz
on 10/7/11 10:22 am - FL

Lora,

Thanks for the response as it is very much appreciated.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 411 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 402 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 283 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 318 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 139 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?