Corellation between B12 absorption and the amount of time to absorb

Shanneee
on 10/14/11 12:31 am - MN
A rep from Bariatric Advantage came to our support group meeting last month to talk about vitamins.  He was very helpful but I have questions about one thing he said. 

When talking about B12, he was touting the superiority of BA's B12 sublinguals because they take longer to dissolve.  He said that a good sublingual should take 7-10 minutes to dissolve and those taking less are not as effective.  He even said that studies have shown that sublinguals that dissolve in under that time are 70 to 80% LESS effective than those that take the recommended 7-10 minutes.

I have never heard this before and asked him if there were studies backing this up.  He said that there were and that he would have their scientist send me some.  I never heard back but it still has me thinking.  Was he just trying to sell us their B12 and lying?  Or is this a genuine issue with sublingual B12? 

PS- Did you ever notice how odd it is that absorb is spelled with a "b" and absorption is spelled with a "p"?  Strange!

Dave Chambers
on 10/14/11 12:43 am - Mira Loma, CA
I never heard of that "point of view".  Most post ops I know prefer the sublinguals that dissolve quickly, and that's what I prefer.  As long as it's a sublingual B12, I really don't understand why it would be better if it took 10 minutes to dissolve vs 1 minute or less.  I would have asked him for a copy of the study that indicated his point about this statement.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

jkay05
on 10/14/11 1:14 am
Sounds fishy to me.lol Maybe their b-12 sales are down and he's trying to get people suckered into buying them from them. Walmart has some.I am cheep. So I am going that route. But if he is just saying things to sell vitamins..I am thinking twice from buying anything from Bariatric Advantage.

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/11 1:26 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Sounds like sales talk to me!  I use the Trader Joe's sublingual, which melts in less than a minute,
and my blood work shows excellent levels. 

If I had to use a tablet that took 7-10 minutes to dissove, I wouldn't use it.

If you have a TJ's close to hand, check them out.  There's also a combo of B12, B6, and B1, which
is also sublingual.

Good luck!
lilbear412
on 10/14/11 2:08 am - MN
 I use the Harvest Bounty from CVS and they are sooooo good tasting its like eating a piece of candy and they dissolve in less than 5 seconds. lol  My vitamin D3 on the other hand takes like 15 minutes to dissolve so i need to find different ones of them.  I usually do that one during my shower time.  Any sublingual vitamin D3 quick dissolving ones you all know of i can use???  Also, the vets who have been using those quick dissolving b12's and having good lab results is all the proof i need that that dude was selling his product only...

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Shanneee
on 10/14/11 3:01 am - MN
Whew...I was thinking it must be some kinda sales song and dance but I'm very disappointed if he misrepresented it to get sales.  I'm going to write a letter to Bariatric Advantage before making final judgement and will let you guys know if I get a reply.

I'm currently taking the Trader Joe's sublinguals and actually love them.  They dissolve so quick, though, so I was worried I might need to switch if this was true.  Thanks friends!

poet_kelly
on 10/14/11 3:33 am - OH
I find it really offensive when support group leaders allow sales reps to take up support group time with trying to sell people their product.  I don't see how that is supportive.

Anyway, I've never heard that about the sublinguals and I'm skeptical because I know many people use sublinguals that dissolve faster and their labs indicate they are absorbing enough B12.  I'm even more skeptical because you asked for studies (and good for you for asking, do that every time someone tells you something that doesn't quite sound right) and he failed to produce them.  Seems like if he really had the studies, he would have been happy to share them.  Anyone that asks for studies about vitamins clearly does their research and is likely to be a great customer if you actually have the studies to back up your claims.

I'm guessing that he's heard a lot of complaints about how long his sublinguals take to dissolve and is trying to convince people that's a good thing, not a reason to try another brand.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 457 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views