clothes constricting digestive tract?

IsantiChick
on 10/19/11 6:59 am - MN
I'm over 2 years from by RNY and I noticed that when I wear a skirt, the waist band constricts my digestive system just under my "stomach" after I eat.  I have to make sure I get up and move around and actually even have had to hold the waist band away from my body for about 10 minutes until things get moving. 

Does anyone else experience this?  My skirt is not too tight, just fits nice - until I eat...

Any feed back would sure be appreciated! 

PS:  this forum has been such a life saver for me over these past years.  Thanks to all of you who contribute!!  I've passed on the site to everyone who has issues.  THANK YOU!

There is no key to happiness, the door is always open!  Come on in!!               
                                        231 Highest/216 Surgery/150 Goal   5'3"

jazzycatz
on 10/19/11 7:05 am - Joppa, MD
I have this sometimes.  Same thing, my pants/skirt aren't too tight, just fit well.  Only happens after I eat. 

So far it is just uncomfortable and I realize that I have to either undo my pants...lol...or do as you do and hold them away from my midsection while I walk around.  I am only just over a year out and have not had plastics so I just thought it was because all the skin is "squishy" making it easy for a well fitting garmet to push everything deeper.  That doesn't make any sense the way I am trying to say it, sorry.  And when food is working it's way down it's just too pressing in sometimes.

Hasn't caused me any real pain or anything. 

IsantiChick
on 10/19/11 11:33 am - MN
Thanks so much for the  reply...you don't know how much it eases my mind hearing someone else is experiencing the same thing.  I totally get what you are saying!!  I had an ultra sound done today to check for an abdominal aortic aneurysm.  I'll find out in a day or two, but I'm thinking it's our new "normal".  I'm not so worried after reading your reply.

Have a wonderful evening!! 

lanagirl
on 10/19/11 8:12 am, edited 10/19/11 8:12 am

I have something similiar, except it's my bra. My bra fits fine, but even milk has a hard time passing down to my pouch so I'm often braless! My kids do not appreciate this weird side effect. I'm only 5 weeks out so I'm hoping it goes away or I will be having some weird looks at resturants since I am a 40 G.

IsantiChick
on 10/19/11 11:35 am - MN
Thanks, Lana.  I had a very soft, lightweight bra - more like a half t-shirt that I wore for about 6 months after my surgery.  I have no idea where I got it, but it was a life saver for being out "in public".  It was some time before a real bra felt normal.  You'll get there...and a much smaller size, too, I'm sure!!   Good luck to you and thank you for the reply.  I really appreciate it!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/19/11 12:48 pm - OH
I have never had this happen post-op, but what confuses me is how such a small amount of food would cause you such discomfort.  It is one thing to have it happen pre-op after a big heavy meal... you know, the whole unbuttoning your pants thing because your stomach is so full... but I'm having trouble envisioning how just a cup or so of food would cause the same type of situation after RNY.  I suppose, perhaps, it could be related to how/where your intestine was placed once it was attached to the pouch, since some surgeons do things a bit differently...

Has this always happened to you or just now that you can eat more?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

IsantiChick
on 10/19/11 9:18 pm - MN
It's pretty much always.  I do think it has to do with placement, I did suggest to the surgeon on Monday when I saw him for my 2 yr to maybe rethink how he does places the new arrangement.  Pantyhose are the worst culprit for any amount of food.  After the food passes, things get a little better.  I'll adjust them to my hips when it gets really bad, but I did that for maternity times and am not real excited about doing it now...forever?  And maybe you're on to something about eating a little too much!!  I'll do a little experimenting and see if that might help.

Thanks much, appreciate it!

IsantiChick
on 10/20/11 6:10 am - MN
Anyone else have these symptoms? If so, what did you find out? Thanks so much!

dufiedog
on 10/20/11 7:47 am
I have a similar problem, but mine is pretty uncomfortable most of the time.  It gets worse after I have eaten.   I have had a CT scan with contrast but they didn't find anything.  As long as I don't get too uncomfortable with it we are just going to address it the next time I go in.

IsantiChick
on 10/20/11 8:29 am - MN
Thanks, K....