I know I shouldnt be upset.. but...

Loveshinesthru
on 10/29/11 12:11 pm - Mesa, AZ
 I had rny on sept 6th.   Ive only lost 26 lbs since then. the first 20 were in the first two weeks i think.  The scale will not move. Im not eating carby foods, i eat only protein foods.  im super depressed..  I talked it over with my husband and he asks me about my diet.. no im not eating wrong. I got mad and left.   Im super depressed...  My surgeon says I am losing slower than normal. 

HW: 314 SW: 297 CW:166

TXKashmir
on 10/29/11 12:28 pm - Grand Prairie, TX
THROW AWAY THE SCALE!  Seriously - people lose at different rates - you are doing fine! This is my pet peeve...sweetie, DO NOT measure your success by a number on a damn scale - you are better than that! I promise - you will do great - but it's not a number - it's quality of life. Talk to me in two months - where are your co-morbids? What is your size? What can you fit into/do now? And..ummm...when was the last time you  lost 26 pounds in two months? Three? You are ROCKING your RNY! (((((HUGSSS)))))

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Loveshinesthru
on 10/29/11 12:35 pm - Mesa, AZ
 Thanks, dont know if makes me feel better though.  im super depressed.  a friend who had rny 6/14  asked why i was down and i told her..she said it will move soon then proceeded to tell me shes lost 92 lbs since her rny. im sorry but that doesnt make me feel better. I understand shes all happy and everything, but not what i needed to hear. :(

bomoni727
on 10/29/11 12:45 pm - MN
 I had surgery the day after you and my loss has been average I think.  My high weight before surgery was 227 but I have comids and I am very short.  If I include the weight I loss pre-op until now I've only lost 35 pounds since August 24th.  I am trying my best to take one day at a time, use my tool correctly, drink fluids, etc.  I stay off the scale as it has been recommended by so many on this site.  I am just going by how my clothes fit.  I also know that it is an absolute given that this weight will come off.  I have no over the top expectations other than to get myself healthy and keep it moving.  However, I do see how you could become depressed.  We want to see that scale number moving down every day because we went through a lot to get to the point of surgery approval.  I had been trying to qualify for this surgery since 2005 and now that I've had the surgery, I'm really trying my best to keep an open mind and to keep my expectations in check because I need all the positive energy I can muster to work toward my goals, which weight loss is only one among many.
Loveshinesthru
on 10/29/11 12:51 pm - Mesa, AZ
 I would at least like it move once a week..I dont expect everyday..  Im trying my best too, as I dont want to mess this up. Im basically doing atkins and im not losing anything.  back in 2004/2005 i lost 30 lbs in one month (then i met my husband) and now i dont lose anything doing the same thing!

Linda W.
on 10/29/11 1:04 pm - Clearlake, CA
I had RNY Sept 14 2010.  I am over a year out and down just 85 pounds.  I know that sounds like a lot right now, but I read about so many people who got to their goal, or lost over 100 pounds in a year, so i have been down too.  the last time I went to the doctor for my weigh in, I had lost just 14 pounds in 3 months.  Totally dejected.  But, then I look at my pre surgery pictures, and I realize that even though I have lost slowly, I have lost permanatly.  I will never look that way again.  I was double my ideal weight at 267 when I had surgery, and today i weighed in at 185.  I went through weeks, even months without losing, but I kept working my program, not eating pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, and measuring everything.  I started journaling everything I put in my mouth, and believe it or not that helped.  It made  me realize that I was eating little things, like a handful of nuts (or a couple!), without realizing I was eating and that really added up.  I weigh every day, but it's kinda like playing the stock market.  You have to realize that there will be ups and downs, it's the results over the long run that counts.  You have to be in for the long haul.  Good luck, and keep on working it. 
Linda    
Loveshinesthru
on 10/29/11 2:08 pm - Mesa, AZ
 thanks.

Tessie W.
on 10/29/11 2:40 pm
I have seen my loss go in waves.  Mine was kind of slow and at 3 months my doc thought I should have been down more.  When I saw her last month we celebrated it is over 100 since my pre-op in January.  I may go 2-3 weeks with a fraction of a loss or nothing at all, and then I will have a great week where I may drop 4-5. 

You are what, 7 weeks out?  That is 3 pounds a week.  That's exactly what I averaged at that point and look where I am 7 1/2 months out.  It will come off...  hang in there and keep talking out your feelings so you get rid of them and don't bottle them within. 

I'd say "step away from the scale" but I weigh every day because in a sick way it motivates me!  So, if you want to weigh, weigh - but remember it's not just about the numbers...  but that's hard to hear at the point you are at.

Sending positive thoughts your way!

Loveshinesthru
on 10/29/11 4:35 pm - Mesa, AZ
 thanks, it kind of motivates me too, but depresses me at the same time.  I track all of my foods on myfitnesspal, so i know what I Am eating.  I thought the scale was going to move again as it went down a half a pound but today it was up 2. grr. lol! 

mallory1986
on 10/29/11 4:56 pm
You are doing fine. :) It WILL come off. You just have to remember that. In the meantime, exercise! Weight resistance is really good about taking weight off. You should be happy that you were blessed enough to get the surgery. There are so many people who have been denied by their insurance company, or people who just cannot afford it. Trust me, we all want to see the scale move every week, but that just is not logical. It's kind of how we want "quick fixes". Quick ways to lose weight. We hope to go to bed at night, and we hope by next morning we've lost X amount of weight. You had the surgery, now you just give it time for your mind and body to adjust. Take care!!! :)
"Too blessed to be stressed" REMEMBER THAT!
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 218 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 319 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 271 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 440 views