Been there, done that...certainly won't ever again!

Susan_U
on 10/30/11 11:57 am - Ontario, CA
OK, last night I went slightly insane.  I was eating my dinner and a thought floated by regarding all the folks who say that they don't know when they are full and don't know when to stop.  Another thought floated by...our pouches are tiny--how could one not know when to stop even when the "full feeling" is absent?

And here is where my temporary insanity took hold.  I decided to find out.  Yes, I know. The sad part is that I don't even drink so I have no excuse...

For once I decided to ignore the doctor's instructions (and my feeling of being satisfied & full).  I ate more than the prescribed 2-3 ounces. I had an extra piece of crispy turkey bacon. Felt extremely full.  Had yet another piece and discomfort started and food felt like it was backing up into my throat and warning gurgles started lower in my gut.  Had a fateful third piece.  A strongish pain in my stomach had me lying flat to lessen the ache.  Belching helped the situation somewhat  but not enough to make sitting up a desirable thing.  Saliva began pooling around my tongue.  And at the five minute mark I found that there was only one way to gain a reprieve.  Yes, I worshipped before the porcelin throne.  Experiment over, sanity returned.

So now I know.

My conclusion is that if you don't get a "full feeling" and don't know when to stop eating, your pouch will let you know.

I know what you're thinking:        I agree!  But "I am but mad north-north-west: When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a hand saw."

;-)

HW: 260  -  Consult: 241  -  SW: 239  -  CW: 206  -  GW: 140

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
Will Rogers

Lisa R.
on 10/30/11 12:29 pm - CA
 I'm telling Dr. Suh, I see him next week.  LOL

Sometimes I feel like I can eat a lot, other times I feel full in 2 bites.  Depends on the time of month, time of day, type of food it is, but I do always stop when I just even start to feel a little full cause I know I will regret it if I don't.  I never throw up though.  

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Susan_U
on 10/30/11 12:58 pm - Ontario, CA
This was the first time I've deviated from Suh's instructions.  I've been following them to the letter.  But with all the types of posts I mentioned, my curiosity got the better of me!  It may sound crazy but in a way my little experiment did me a lot of good.  Since I have been following instructions so strictly I've never had a problem (outside of constipation, but that's another story)--no discomfort, no problems, nada.  So I hadn't experienced  the "punishment" we RNYers can receive from our pouches when the occassion warrants.

Now I know exactly what will happen if I stray!  And knowing, I will do everything I can to stay on the straight & narrow.  

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
Will Rogers

lilbear412
on 10/30/11 3:30 pm - MN
 your this far out and only eating 2 - 3 oz?   I can easily eat 1/2 cup of food.  But that amount makes me quite full.  I have never over eaten but have gotten to the point where i feel full in my chest.  Thats the fullest i have been.  I have never been sick from over eating or puked from foods either.  But i can eat twice as much as you and i am not even 3 months out.  strange....

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Susan_U
on 10/31/11 3:17 am - Ontario, CA
My surgeon's orders said no more than 2-3 ounces at this point.  And, being virtuous, I follow them.     I stepped outside those orders just this once.   I have to say that I feel full after eating 2 - 3 ounces.    He'll probably let me increase my meal size when I go for my 3 month check-up on December 15, but I don't know if I'll be able to do it.  Maybe that'll change by then.

Will Rogers

lilbear412
on 10/31/11 8:11 am - MN
 oh i looked over at the date and saw april and thought that was when you had your bypass but thats when you joined OH.  So when DID you have your bypass?  Still i am only 10 weeks out and can eat upwards of 1/2 cup a meal..

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

YankeeRose
on 10/31/11 9:18 am - Meadville, PA
lilbear I was the same way at 10 weeks. However, my surgeon told me at my 3 week appt that I should be eating 1 c of food  and 1000 cal a day! Weird how all the programs are so different.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Susan_U
on 10/31/11 9:55 am - Ontario, CA
My surgery was on September 23, so I'm 5 weeks out. 

Will Rogers

lilbear412
on 10/31/11 2:43 pm - MN
 whew Susan you scared me and i thought i was doing something awfully wrong.  lol  but only being 5 weeks out i can see that much food.  Thats about what i was eating then.  About 1/4 cup.  I just recently started eating up to 1/2 cup because i was on a stall but very active and getting all my proteins and 3 days after i upped my food i started losing weight again..or some anyways.    
Tammy a cup at 3 weeks?  wow thats unreal.  Thats a lot of food and i don't think i could eat that now.