First post here---worried about approval

Erin M.
on 11/3/11 6:38 am - VA
 I have been trying to get all of the necessary pre op appts (nutritionist, psych, ultrasound of gall bladder, chest x ray) so I called my surgery scheduler now that I have all that stuff done to see what happens next. She called me and said that everything has come back fine (I have been told pretty much universally by all the different drs that I shouldnt have problem getting approved). BUT, apparently she just got an e-mail from tricare saying that now the require documentation of previous failed diet attempts for approval. I am trying not to be upset because she said that she doesn't know what they have to submit, but I can't help but feel really defeated now. I have documented weights for the past 5 years, but I never verbalized to my primary care doctor that I was dieting, even when I was. I know i just have to be patient, but I am pretty devastated. I feel like I shouldnt even be surprised about this speed bump because everything has gone so smoothly so far. Has anyone had to deal with these new requirements from tricare before? I am sorry if I sound like a huge baby I just don't know what to do. Thanks. 
hurleybabi2006
on 11/3/11 8:59 am - AZ
I was surprised with that requirement as well. I am with bcbs but my mom recommended me writing a 1-2 page letter (or journal is what I did). I wrote about my weight and health history from childhood to now. When my mom had her surgery back in 2007 she did this as well and it worked for both us. Just a suggestion. Good Luck!
Erin M.
on 11/3/11 9:16 am - VA
 Thank you thats a good idea. Did you give the journal/letter to the doctor or the insurance company? 
hurleybabi2006
on 11/3/11 4:18 pm - AZ
 I gave it to the office to submit to insurance.
willoseit
on 11/3/11 9:00 am
I have Tricare and I was told the only thing I had to do is get a referral from my PCM, so your post is scareing me a bit.  I have my initial consultation on November 17th, 2011.  I too never really verbalized diets i have been on to my doctor.  And in fact till recently i never went to the doctor unless i was sick(been trying to change that). 
Erin M.
on 11/3/11 9:15 am - VA
 I was told all I needed was a referral from my primary care as well and I honestly got through all of the pre op stuff before I even heard of this. My surgeons scheduler (who sends in the info for approval) said it just changed and she wasn't sure what is going to happen. I'll try and keep you updated. 
A. C
on 11/3/11 9:10 am
i don't have tricare but i wanted to tell you, i had several small bumps in the road as well, felt completely defeated a few times.. so i can really relate to you are feeling!
but it has all come together for me and if i make it to tuesday, i'm having surgery at noon!
you can do this - keep your chin up and just keep plugging away!
good luck
Erin M.
on 11/3/11 9:18 am - VA
 Good luck on Tuesday! And thank you for your encouragement. It's just hard not to get discouraged but I am trying to think positive. Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing. 
BREATHLESS_BUTI
on 11/3/11 10:27 am
 to a shocking suprise tricare just recently change their rules to you needing the 6mths documentation the end of last month, but most surgeons are calling the insurance company on behalf of their patients who consultation was already scheduled before this went into effect recently, don't have tricare, just know from working in a medical office so we get the updates before the patients do...
Erin M.
on 11/3/11 10:52 am - VA
 Oh I really hope my dr can call and try and smooth things out for me. My original consultation with the bariatric surgeon was on October 19th. Hopefully that was before the new rules were put into effect. Thanks for the information. 
Most Active
Recent Topics