Coffee?

hstull1013
on 11/5/11 11:19 pm - AZ
Happy Sunday morning!

I have not had coffee since before my surgery. I am almost 5 weeks out. My surgeons plan does not say anything about coffee good or bad so I am curious, how early out did any of you begin to drink coffee?

I have a 2000 word essay to write today that is probably going to take me all day. I would kill to have some coffee to get me through the day LOL.

Thanks in advance!

HW-361, SW 349, CW 299, GW 185  *20 lbs lost pre-op diet*
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/11 11:26 pm
I am 2.5 years out.  Tried it...hmmm...twice.  Doesn't agree with me.  I don't have a lot of caffeine ever since surgery.  Coffee made me way too jittery.  Now I drink Green tea.  Not as effective as coffee but I can drink a lot of it over the course of a morning...
Evelyn3131
on 11/5/11 11:33 pm - Burlington, NC

I drink about a cup every other day.  I use sugar substitute and skim milk and sometimes half/half.  I have not had any side effects just yet.  So, with us all being different you may want to try a small portion and see how that works.  If everything is fine, try a little bit more.   Alot  of things are individual trial and error.

Evelyn

Surgery Date 6/30/2011          
Windim
on 11/5/11 11:36 pm - Fountain City, WI
I drink decaf every day. I have a very hard time getting cold fluids down so I stick with my decaf. No caffiene but I mix it with my protein shake and its yummy.

rebeccaj
on 11/5/11 11:36 pm - Bowling Green, KY
 I started drinking my  beloved coffee about a week after surgery.  I drink at least one cup, and many times two cups a day.  I just don't count it as my fluids, to be honest if I have that second cup, I'll add another 8 oz of water that day.

Rhonda A.
on 11/5/11 11:46 pm - North Providence, RI
 I too drank my coffee right away. I only drink decaf (have been for yrs now) and I use splenda. In the beginning I used nondairy creamer, now I use half n half. I wouldnt say I cant handle cold liquids but when it is 35 degrees its hard to drink 64oz of water. 

Jacobsmama08
on 11/5/11 11:53 pm - Morgan Hill, CA
Happy Sunday Morning to you... And Coffee is my friend. I hit the Starbucks drivethru almost everymorning for a triple grande skinny hazel nut latte. Most days, without that I wouldn't make it to school... I just make sure I drink extra water.

I have to say, pre surgery I was a coffee addict. 3 or 4 triples throughout my day. Post surgery, I did  not touch it for about a month, then I started with 'half-caf' for a week or 10 days...non-fat/sugar free... Then full caffiene, now I get a little extra, but I'm 6 months out. Go easy... Everyone is different, but I think you should be fine... Good luck on your paper!

Highest weight :412, Weight on surgery day (5/2/11): 370.

Linda W.
on 11/6/11 1:10 am - Clearlake, CA
I started drinking coffee again about a month out.  I tried decaf, didn't like it, and went back to the real stuff.  I am not a fast coffee drinker, one cup (16 oz. cup) lasts me all morning, sometimes half the afternoon too.  However, there are days that I drink 2 or 3 cups.  When I do, I try to drink more water.  I don't have any problems with it.  I am a long term coffee addict.  when I was a baby, I was very lethargic due to a heart problem, according to my mom the doctor told her to give me small amounts of coffee.  So at 6 months, my grandma was giving me coffee from a teaspoon, and I have drank coffee ever since.  I have gone without for months at a time, but I always go back to it.
Linda    
Samantha.M
on 11/6/11 1:11 am - Germany
I started my coffee again a few day after surgery. My NUT says it's one of those iffy things, Says it's on the avoid/delay list but if you can handle it he doesn't see a problem with it.

Now my Dr. says to switch to decaf about a year out because the caffeine triggers hunger.
Proud army wife and mom of 2 ♥       
Pamela1963
on 11/6/11 2:33 am - MA
I started drinking decaf coffee approx 2-3 weeks out. I use fat free half and half. Skim milk made it too watery for me. Honey Dew has decaf in any flavor and also has the FF half and half. Not sure about Dunkins - I don't like their coffee so I don't go there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views