Kidney stones anyone????

Tangerine4
on 11/9/11 3:19 am - Rochester, NY
I'm three years out from my RNY and have two bouts of Kidney stones so far.  I was wondering if anyone else has suffered from this since having their bypass and what your doc recommended to help prevent the formation of these stones.  With this last stone I was able to have it looked at and it is a calcium oxylate stone.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time out to answer my question.

Sincerely,
Jennifer
Jennifer Louise
236/112/goal 125
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/9/11 3:34 am - OH
 Yes, I am 4 years out and had never had trouble with kidney stones in my life (I'm 49) but have had two episodes in the past year to eighteen months.  Do NOT let someone tell you to decrease your calcium CITRATE, but you may want to consider switching to a multivitamin that has less calcium CARBONATE in it because that type of calcium can contribute to stones.  Other than that, I was told to drink lots of water and limit caffeine and carbonation.

They are definitely no fun!!!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lorrainecma
on 11/9/11 3:34 am
 One so far, but no advice from doc. What did they tell you??

poet_kelly
on 11/9/11 3:41 am - OH
You're taking calcium citrate, not calcium carbonate, right?  And drinking plenty of water?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Tangerine4
on 11/9/11 11:25 am - Rochester, NY
Yes, they actually told me to increase my calcium citrate..and avoid things high in Oxylate but that would include nuts and nuts are a big part of my diet now.  I really don't eat a lot anymore.  There are so many conflicting things about what to eat and what not to eat. I am hoping at this point that simply increasing my urine output will help.  Findings have shown that after a year out of RNY that we all have a much higher oxylate concentration in our urine and other than drinking tons of water I really don't know how to lower that.

All I do know is that I have had 4 children and the kidney stone pain trumps labor pains any day of the week. It is god awful and if a nurse hasn't had them they really don't get it.  Then on top of it all the harsh pain meds leave me feeling groggy and extremely pissed off.  don't get me wrong...even if I was told this was a side effect of the surgery I would have still went through with it because I would have never imagined how debilitating the pain would be...plus I am so much happier at this weight that it would have taken a lot for me to say I wish I never went through with this.
Jennifer Louise
236/112/goal 125
poet_kelly
on 11/9/11 12:35 pm - OH
Good, at least they knew what they were talking about.  Calcium citrate is supposed to help prevent them.  I'm not quite sure how.  But that's good that they knew the difference between citrate and carbonate.

Hopefully you don't get them again.  I have  heard it's terribly painful, and I can imagine how it would be.  I've seen pictures of stones and even a tiny one is going to hurt passing through your ureters or urethra.  Those are teeny tiny tubes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views