No protein shakes yet?

K_Behr
on 11/11/11 12:29 pm
I had surgery on Monday and just came home yesterday. The doc didn't say anything about starting my shakes. I'm on full liquids and just said to keep hydrated. I have an appointment next Wednesday, maybe then he'll see how I'm holding things down? Just a little concerned with this!
poet_kelly
on 11/11/11 12:35 pm - OH
Protein shakes are a full liquid.

I'm wondering why you didn't ask your doc about shakes before you were discharged yesterday, but also wondering why your doc and dietician didn't give you an outline of the recommended post op diet before you even had surgery.  But since you didn't and they didn't, you can certainly call them first thing Monday to ask about it.

In the meantime, I guess you'll need to decide if you want to start your protein now or not.  I personally would.  I actually started protein drinks (clear protein drinks) in the hospital.  Your body needs protein to heal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cabin_Fever
on 11/11/11 12:43 pm
I would suggest you call the Doctor's nurse and ask about it.  I had a session with my dietitian before suregery (Scheduled soon), and her instructions were to have clear liquids for the first three days.  Then, Pureed foods for a few weeks after that.  I think that by the forth day you should have been able to try a little bit of a shake (4 oz), and take tiny sips to see how your tummy works with it.  And of course, no cane sugar!  Best of luck to you, and let us know what you find out!

"We either make ourselves miserable or we
make ourselves strong.  The amount of work is the same...."    - Don Juan Matus

poet_kelly
on 11/11/11 12:45 pm - OH
Calling the doctor or nurse is always a good idea.  Just so you know, there are clear protein drinks, like isopure, cytosport and syntrax nectar.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

K_Behr
on 11/11/11 12:39 pm
Well they did give me an outline, but there's nothing about protein shakes for a few weeks. I also didn't have the strict diet I keep seeing on these boards. I was able to eat up til surgery, just nothing heavy. However, I did do only liquids the night before just to clear my bowels. So I'm noticing my doc does things different than most anyways.
poet_kelly
on 11/11/11 12:47 pm - OH
Some docs don't ask patients to do a liquid pre op diet.  And there are a few docs out there that recommend not using protein shakes, ever.  But while all docs have different recommendations, everyone needs protein in order to heal and function well.

cassandraasl
on 11/12/11 12:52 am
 my surgeon was the same way. don't worry about it. I was told to stay away from protein for the first few weeks to give my pouch a break. I was able to eat food before surgery except the night before too. Trust me your not the only one. :)
A girl should be two things classy and fabulous ~ Coco Chanel

Check me out on facebook
poet_kelly
on 11/12/11 7:33 pm - OH
I don't understand why your pouch needs a break from protein for a few weeks.  Especially right after surgery when your tissues need to heal.

cassandraasl
on 11/12/11 10:56 pm
 Sorry by weeks I meant days.I mean this is only from my experience and what i found out was the best for me. But for example the first couple of days it was hard enough to get liquids in let alone protein in too. I wasn't able to fallow their schedule right to the tee (and we are all different, no one can fallow it exactly) But by the last day in the hospital I was able to finally try some soup and it didn't go so well so then finally when I got home we tried to add unflavored protein stuff to everything that i could slowly start to eat, but there was no way i was able to handle a shake at all. I added it to tomato soup and pudding for the most part. The shakes for me were either far to rich for me to handle or they made me gag from the taste. It took me a while to be able to find a protein to be able to just get down let alone like. 

But like I said this is my experience that i had. My surgery was only 3 months ago so if that helps any. Good luck with your adventures! :)
A girl should be two things classy and fabulous ~ Coco Chanel

Check me out on facebook
K_Behr
on 11/11/11 12:50 pm
Ok..thanks for your replies. Maybe he's just waiting to see how I do. But I will definitely call Monday to verify I'm doing this right so far!
Most Active