Am I a freak? Or just lucky....

CoachArch
on 11/18/11 2:16 pm - NM
I had surgery on July 5th and it has been super smooth (knock on wood).... I've lost 95 pounds since surgery and 156 pounds total since I started my journey in March. I have no issues with food. I watch my portions and keep my meals under 6 ounces. I usually eat three meals a day and a protein shake. Sometimes I have a late night snack when I'm craving something sweet I eat non fat cottage cheese and some sugar free jelly . Usually, I'm pretty good. I am just wondering if I'm missing something that I haven't had any issues. I have noticed that recently I've been able to eat more than normal before feeling the "fullness" sensation. Is that normal? Also, has anyone tried beef jerky? homemade beef jerky, not that store bought stuff. I seem to be able to eat a whole bag with no issues. Sorry for the long post, just have a lot on my mind.
Cookietea
on 11/18/11 2:33 pm
Man, thank your lucky stars if you have no issues.  I was so sick the first three months I thought I might die.  My grand daughter would say, "Nana, are you sure you should eat that?  I don't want you to throw up anymore."

I had my surgery in April and I think I am doing well.  Sounds like you have a better handle on food.  I have found that carbs are creeping in so am really trying to curb those cravings.  I feel so much better.  I had to go to a pain clinic this week and the Dr told me to touch my toes.   I haven't been able to touch my toes in 40 years.  So I bent over and touched my toes.  It was a miracle.

I have read on this site that there are some people who have no issues and it sounds like you are one of them.  You look to be eons younger than me and I think it might be easier for younger people.  I know there is no elasticicty left in my skin.  One of the challenges of being a senior citizen.

I think you should just enjoy your sucess and go with it.  Lucky you!
Samantha L.
on 11/18/11 5:52 pm - Petaluma, CA
 Nah.. you aren't a freak.  I breezed through my surgery and had no gas pain, no need for anything stonger than Tylenol and the weight came off easily.  (Whether it will STAY off or not is another story).  
  I can eat pretty much everything (with the exception of pears and Ramen) with no issues.  I eat jerky, but it's store bought.  I can't eat a whole BAG of it, but I can put some away.  =]

Congrats on your progress and the smoothness of your journey!!

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 11/18/11 7:25 pm
You are not a freak.  Lots of people go through this with no complications.  They just dont post "why am I not having problems".  Those will issues/questions post more often seeking help/support.

Winnie

Price S.
on 11/18/11 8:04 pm - Mills River, NC
Nope, you aren't a freak.  I had no issues and still don't.  I used to laugh about having a cast iron stomach, now I have a cast iron pouch.  I have been a rule follower and I think that helps.  Over time, you will be able to eat more.  Just keep a handle on it so you are not over-eating.  There are some things I can eat more of than others but my limit is still around a cup.  I have tried jerky but not a bag of it. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Laura in Texas
on 11/18/11 8:04 pm
I agree with the others. There are a lot of us, myself included, who have no issues. More people just seem to post when they need help. The further you get post-op, the easier it is to eat more. Just be careful old habits don't take over. I've been maintaining my loss for 2 years now because of the good habits I established early on in my journey. Continued good luck to you!!

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Samantha.M
on 11/18/11 10:32 pm - Germany
You're not a freak at all. There are actually a lot of us that don't have problems after surgery. I am 4 weeks out and I haven't had any issues. I can drink with no problems,eat my food with no issues.

Like someone else said, It's mainly the people who are having issues that post. You are doing great! WTG on your loss so far!!
Proud army wife and mom of 2 ♥       
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/18/11 11:31 pm - OH
You are COMPLETELY normal.  Most people have no significant problems after surgery... it is just that the people who DO have problems are the ones who post here most often... so it skews the perception of what post-op life is like.

It is also completely normal to be able to eat more the further out you get.  You could either starve to death or would have to eat every 2 hours if you could only eat a few ounces of food at a time permanently after surgery!

I tried jerky but was not able to chew it up well enough.  SInce you don't have the stomach acid anymore to help with breaking the food down, you need to chew it up much better in order to digest it properly.  A whole bag, though?  Over what time period?  How many calories in that?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 430 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 162 views
Recent Topics