Vitamin that won't go away

NanaRose142
on 11/20/11 11:00 am - TX
I just had my surgery on Tuesday of last week.  I have a vitamin question.  When I take the Vitamin B and a couple other vitamins they seem to just lay in my stomach and it takes them forever to absorb or melt or go away.  I tried drinking, drinking and nothing budged them.  I am going to my doctor tomorrow and I will ask him what to do, but has anyone else ever had a problem with a vitamin that will not go away?
Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I got older.    
flyingwoman
on 11/20/11 11:14 am
 You are very early out to be taking pills whole. 

Try a chewable multi (Centrum or Quest, or a specialty WLS kind like Bariatric Advantage or Celebrate), a disolvable calcium citrate (like Upcal D or NOW powdered Calcium Citrate) and a sublingual B12 (like Nature's Bounty).

You will find this early most pills will get stuck and it could cause pain or vomiting.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
NanaRose142
on 11/20/11 11:51 am - TX
You know I am thinking the same thing.  I don't think my teeth will fall out or all my hair disappear in three to six weeks.  I was healthy going in.  I will be discussing this with my doctor and may have misunderstood his directions.  Thanks so much.
H.A.L.A B.
on 11/21/11 1:01 am
Some vitamins are water soluble... we need them daily... some - our body will store... others - not so much and not enough...  Once a deficiency sets in - it is sometimes very difficult to get the numbers to go back.
Some vitamin deficiencies may case permanent damage - that means that once damage will happen - it can't be reversed even if you start taking the vitamins ... (i.e. B12, B1, other B's).

Don't risk complications. Find vitamins you can take daily. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 11/20/11 1:46 pm - OH
On November 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM Pacific Time, NanaRose142 wrote:
I just had my surgery on Tuesday of last week.  I have a vitamin question.  When I take the Vitamin B and a couple other vitamins they seem to just lay in my stomach and it takes them forever to absorb or melt or go away.  I tried drinking, drinking and nothing budged them.  I am going to my doctor tomorrow and I will ask him what to do, but has anyone else ever had a problem with a vitamin that will not go away?
Are they very, very large pills?  Because if they are small, I don't think they could just lay in your stomach if you are drinking and drinking.  There is an opening at the bottom of your pouch.  A small pill would be washed into the small intestine almost immediately.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NanaRose142
on 11/20/11 8:34 pm - TX
No, they are pretty big _____.  My thyroid, blood presure pill and anti depressant go down just fine.  Just these particular pills. I take the chewable Viactiv twice a day and then the multi 3 times a day.  Also, c that is chewable, addition d once a week in a prescription.  Thank you for your input. You usually can help all us newbies out.  Hopefully, someday I can pay it forward.
poet_kelly
on 11/20/11 11:42 pm - OH
You can cut them in half, if that helps.  Or into three or four pieces.

Did you realize that Viactiv is calcium carbonate, and we don't absorb that?   Well, we absorb about 4% of it.  But we need calcium citrate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NanaRose142
on 11/21/11 8:55 am - TX
No, I did not realize that.  Will get something else, in fact I have some other Calcium that I will look at.  I had bought this at the beginning to get ready for surgery.  Maybe I will use them as a snack.  ha
The doctor said don't take the one that bother my stomach until until I go back. I got a good report except he told me to not overdo.  He said he usually has the opposite problem with people.  I am glad I am on the other side.  ha 
missjann
on 11/20/11 3:47 pm
I have done chewables since the day of surgery. The few pills I took
post-op I had to crush or cut up into pieces.  I still take chewable
vitamins and don't plan to change since they work well and my
labs are good. Maybe you need to use a pill cutter and cut them
smaller or try chewables for a while.
    Jan

Amber L.
on 11/20/11 4:29 pm - Sweden
While in the hospital, my nurse broke my Tylenol in half. Other than that, I have just taken whole pills since day one.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!