my B12 level and liver.

wendydettmer
on 11/23/11 4:17 am - Rochester, NY
So I just got back from seeing my PCP.  Last time I went in (3 months ago), i asked for them to check my B12 because I had some tingling in my hands, but not carpal tunnel.  So I go in today, and everything else looks great. 

She went over all the tests and labs in my file (which is everything since my PCP is associated with the hospital the surgery is at, they have EVERYTHING!) . 

So anyway, she says my B12 was 344, in normal range.  Yeah, well I know from on here that it should be higher.  Now that was 3 months ago before I started supplementing, so I'm sure it's higher now, but I'm not sure what it is.  I know I'll get labs checked soon after sugery anyway.

So....my other question is about my liver.  On my ultrasound results it said I have a fatty liver.  My surgeon doesn't require a preop liquid diet of more then 24 hours.  Would it hurt to do one on my own to help shrink the liver to make things safer?

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

poet_kelly
on 11/23/11 4:29 am - OH
Below 344, you start to develop nerve damage.  So that explains the tingling.  Has the tingling stopped now?  That nerve damage can be permanent in some cases.

It would not hurt you to do a diet to shrink your liver, no.  It doesn't actually need to be a liquid diet to do that, though.  Just very low carb, low fat.  You could ask your surgeon or dietician for more advice on that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SilverCrystal
on 11/23/11 5:35 am
i have this tingling in my back that happens and it hurts. and it is worse now, when i went to the nut and nurse in oct. and she aksed me how much b12 i took and apparently i wasnt taking enough. i was only taking 1000 a week cause thats whAT i was told.ofcoarse now im over doing it but im tingling isnt gone. do you think that this is what it is?nerve damage?

poet_kelly
on 11/23/11 6:11 am - OH
There is no way for me to now that.  With B12 deficiency, though, usually the tingling is in your hands and feet, at least at first.  If yours is just in your back, I would suspect another cause.

Did you have labs done to even know if your B12 was too low?  Do you know what your level is now?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

mikjul1
on 11/23/11 4:32 am - bel air, MD
My Dr says anyone that is a bmi of 50 or more is on a protein diet for 2 weeks before surgery.  I am 37 bmi and I am doing it to shrink my liver. went to my pre op class and the nurse said it would not hurt if you do it early to get in the mind set. plus the more weight you can get off the better the surgery will go.
lilbear412
on 11/23/11 4:33 am - MN
 when i think back preop...i had lots of tingling in my hands especially...never knew what it was as my blood sugars were always good.  I know tingling in your extremities is a sign of diabetes also.  Since this surgery i do not have that.  So i am guessing my b12 was not normal ranged either.  But since i have been working and am on my feet so much i have the restless leg/feet like syndrome still and i hate that..lol 

As far as your fatty liver goes..anything that can make your operation safer for you is not a bad thing..good luck!  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

wendydettmer
on 11/23/11 4:45 am - Rochester, NY
The tingling is gone now, so I'm considering myself lucky there! I'm going to continue to take my pills until surgery and then I know I'll have to switch types. I also picked up some more D3 so I can make sure my levels are ok there. She didn't have those levels but said almost everyone in rochester is low because we never have sun lol.

I just want to make sure I'm as healthy as I can be prior to my surgery, including all my levels being optimal so I can hopefully minimize defeciencies.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

poet_kelly
on 11/23/11 6:11 am - OH
I think almost everyone anywhere in this country is low on D.

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/23/11 8:07 am
I can't get out of bed when my B12 is close to 500...

Now I take B12 injections... most people needs once a month... my body needs once a week...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

wendydettmer
on 11/23/11 10:28 am - Rochester, NY
Now I'm worried about B12. I wi**** was possible for me to take tests everyday to test my levels lol.

Thanks for your assistance everyone. I have decided to start a low carb/low fat/high protein diet before surgery. I want to be as safe as possible, especially because they are going to take out my gallbladder.