liquid vitamin D

wendydettmer
on 11/26/11 6:15 am - Rochester, NY
 I know we can't do the softgel vit D, but are we able to do the liquid kind in a dropper?  I'm trying to stock up for what I'll need and I am looking for the most cost efficent brand.

Thank you!

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

poet_kelly
on 11/26/11 6:19 am - OH
It's fine if it has no oil in it.  You'll have to read the ingredients carefully to see.  And make sure it's D3, of course.

I think the most cost efficient for many of us is the 50,000 IU dry D3 capsules from vitalady.com, though.  If you do not need that large a dose daily, you can take it just once or twice a week.  That means a bottle could last you six months or more, plus I like not having to take it every day because I like taking as few pills as possible.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

bomoni727
on 11/26/11 9:50 am - MN
 Kelly, what is the issue if it's oil.  I take the NOW brand d-3 liquid.  One full dropper full equals 5000 iu.  
poet_kelly
on 11/26/11 9:59 am - OH
After RNY we malabsorb fats to some extent, and oil is a kind of fat.  So you will not absorb all of the D3 in the oil.  Now, you'll absorb some of it because we do absorb some fat, but not all of it and there's really no way to know how much.  And the amount will change because you malabsorb macronutrients, like fat, more right after surgery than you do a few years later because your intestine starts to adapt.  The oil won't hurt you, but I want to know I am getting all of the vitamins I take.  Or at least as much as possible.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wendydettmer
on 11/26/11 7:14 am - Rochester, NY
Thank you! That does seem to be the best option I think. I'm hoping to not have to take that much everyday, but I want to be prepared just in case.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

lilbear412
on 11/26/11 2:53 pm - MN
 i take a d3 daily..5000 iu and its with vitamin k and its a sublingual.  I put it under my tongue and let it dissolve while i am showering in the AM.  it tastes great...Its called Michaels and i got it online..i think at amazon..pretty cheap too.  I will eventually take the vitaladay ones but like the taste of these so why change.  lol  good luck.  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Most Active