Diet Pepsi

Stacy11
on 11/28/11 9:32 pm
I am craving some!!!  ughhh I was never a huge pop drinker but now that i CAN"T have it I want one loaded with ice more than ever! I am sure I couldn't drink the whole can, I am about 8 weeks out from surgey. Did anyone try any at the  12  week mark?> OR EVER????

Kim S.
on 11/28/11 9:56 pm - Helena, AL
This is just my opinion.....I don't think it would KILL you to have a diet soda.  I was a huge Tab drinker before surgery.  After a year, I tried some champagne and the carbonation really made my stomach ache.  So I've personally never tried carbonation again.

If you drink it, I'd pour it over ice and stir it with a fork to get most of the carbonation out of it....kind of let it get a bit "flat" before you drink it.

Also, I would not get back in the habit of diet sodas....you need to be hitting the water hard at this stage.

Craig C.
on 11/28/11 10:15 pm - Fort Worth, TX
I drink Diet Pepsi all the time and have had no problems with them. However everyone is different if you try it and it upsets your stomache you might want to lay off them. I am about 6 months out but have been drinking them since around 6 weeks out. Not a great deal of them but a few from time to time. It wont, I repeat wont hurt your pouch.

Cheers

Craig

stlfocus
on 11/28/11 10:19 pm - IA
My nutritionist said NEVER.  If you talk to people who have regained weight after surgery, quite often they returned to drinking soda - either diet or regular.

I was a diet cherry dr pepper addict (6 or more cans a day), and I gave it up.  I have moved to water (which I am now craving) or decaf ice tea.

I just don't feel it is worth the risk to get re-addicted to something that has no nutritional value since I no longer crave it.
poet_kelly
on 11/28/11 11:00 pm - OH
Many of us were never addicted to diet soda, though.  So that is not an issue for everyone.

Despite what your nutritionist said, I do not see how drinking diet soda a few times a year will cause me to regain weight.  That just does not make any sense.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

M M
on 11/28/11 10:37 pm
Shake the shiz out of it, pour it over ice in a huge glass, and stir.

Enjoy.

Diet Caffeine Free is the "safest..." if you MUST.
Kaysmommy
on 11/28/11 10:49 pm - Silver City, NM
I drink diet coke, and diet 7up all the time.  Now not everyday, and when I do have it not more than one a day.  But i know the craving, and although some people say no carbonation, its fine on my pouch.  My surgeon said the reason why they say no straws and carbonation is because of gas.  In some cases it could cause more gas.  I never had that problem so I do both. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/11 10:50 pm - TX
My surgeon said I could try diet sodas at the 12 week mark. I did, and it seemed too sweet to me, and I am a former diet coke addict. Tried it again around 5-6 months and liked it over ice. I drink probably one of the small cans daily now. It is my "treat" instead of something sweet. (I'm talking about six ounces baby cans, not bigger ones.)

The carbonation doesn't bother me as it does some people. You just have to remember everything in moderation, and I don't get my diet coke if I didn't get all my water in for the day.
poet_kelly
on 11/28/11 10:58 pm - OH
I don't remember how far out I was, but I've had diet soda, yeah.  The carbonation gives some people gas but it doesn't bother me.  As long as the carbonation doesn't bother you, there is no reason not to have it occasionally.  It will NOT stretch your pouch despite the popular myth that says it will.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Shellbatronic
on 11/29/11 2:33 am - NC
 My NUT said the main reason to stay away from caramel colored sodas (and some others) are that they have Phosphoric acid that can keep your bones from absorbing all the calcium that they can. But having said that, there's no reason to drive yourself nuts, even a couple of sips may make it stop its mental hold on you. But don't make a habit of it, yknow? Watch out for the gas, though, that can be a killer. Personally I lost my taste for regular Diet Coke, but can take a Diet Coke with Splenda, go figure. This is all a learning process.

What I do is, when I'm craving something bubbly, drink flavored Seltzer water. You can even mix those with a crystal light or something, and it's all the fun of soda without the crazy preservatives.

Most Active
Recent Topics