What are the rules for PUREED stage??

Tali S.
on 11/29/11 4:38 am - Jerusalem, Israel
I am 8 days post op and am supposed to be waiting until day 11 to move on to pureed foods, but I am going to go ahead and start now. I have been eating yogurt and cottage cheese for the past 5 days. I can have a half a cup of cottage cheese (3%) with no problems. So..I'm thinking it's ok to move on?

I don't really know the rules. My nutritionist is terrible. I have an appointment soon with a new one.

Can I eat anything so long as it is pureed? Is it all about the consistency and not so much about the ingredients (obviously being low fat, low suger, and getting protein).

Also, what is the rule on spices? salt, pepper, cinnimon, garlic powder, etc.

and sauce? if i wanted to add a hot sauce to a mashed potato?

Is it all about how my stomach reacts? Or are there actual other reasons for avoiding certain foods?

Thanks for your help!!!!! Love this forum!

Tali S.
on 11/29/11 4:40 am - Jerusalem, Israel
please excuse my spelling error on cinnamon.
It's late and I'm huuungry
Lisssy
on 11/29/11 4:54 am
 I got mines done on the 11 th do far I can blend anything goes down good .. Just try what u like but not Alot just alittle see how it goes .. Just take all ur pills and protien u will do fine good  luck ! 
jvan71
on 11/29/11 4:46 am - TN
I'm actually surprised at the yogurt and cottage cheese just 3 days out!  I know each doctor has different ideas of what they think works best, though.  Mine wants me on full liquids for a week after surgery before trying "pudding consistency" foods for a week...then on my 3rd week I can start pureed.

When I do move on to the pureed stage, the only rules I was given was making sure I get 75-100g of protein throughout the day.  I don't believe there are any rules on spices other than what you're able to handle.  One of the suggestions they made was chili. :)

I'm sure others can give you more information since I'm still 11 days away from my surgery date.

Hope this at least helps a little bit!
Jen
HW: 330   SW 314   CW 262   GW 130      
(deactivated member)
on 11/29/11 5:02 am
 I have to admit, I moved onto the pureed stage today too. I was suppose to wait till friday, but I'm tired of the same pudding and jello and yogurt. I also needed protien badly. I can't get any of the protien shakes down. So I had a scrambled egg and cheese not too long ago. I really chewed it up in my mouth (to applesauce consistency.) Tomorrow I'm going to try mashed potatoes. Just remember not to eat too much. LIsten to your stomach carefully, if you even have the slightest feeling that you are done, be done! I only at maybe a 4th of the egg and cheese today and had to stop, I just knew one more bite and what I ate would have been right back in the bowl. Good luck!
Tali S.
on 11/29/11 5:17 am - Jerusalem, Israel
Thanks for the responses Lissy and Jvan! Jvan-good luck with your surgery!

Allie - Phew, I feel much better not being the only one! And we are surgery date buddies I didn't know a scrambled egg was ok yet...great!

I just tried something. I made: about 2 ounces of supermashed potato and added low fat mayo, mustard, salt/pepper. I couldn't help myself. I probably should have tried each of those things separately first but my stomach took over all logic and insisted on eating it together. now.

It's been about 20 minutes and so far all is well. If people throw up from a food does it happen right away?
MzSwagStar
on 12/1/11 3:02 am - Wichita Falls, TX
 When i tried an egg i threw up as soon as i was done, it was sooo awful!
 Mz Swag Star            
Tali S.
on 12/1/11 5:58 am - Jerusalem, Israel
oy!! I am so scared for the moment I eat something and throw it up. knock on wood....
I made the mistake yesterday of trying pureed tuna with mayo. OMG I was so nauseous. big mistake.I actually tried the egg tonight for the first time and it felt fine! It's so fascinating that our bodies react to things so differently from one another.
lilbear412
on 11/29/11 6:00 am - MN
 i was on soft liquids at that time i think..but i was told i could eat anything protein blended (pureed).  and i could eat sauces or gravies in my pureed foods and spices.  Make it low fat/ sf if possible..this is the stage i started pretty much eating what i made for the family but just pureed it up...
But that was MY plan and i can't speak for your plan.  good luck!!  

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess