Gastric bypass and IBS

icnside
on 12/1/11 2:14 am - Chesapeake, VA
I suffer from severe IBS (diarrhea type) and I am planning on having bypass surgery in the summer. Has anyone had any experience with this situation? Any improvement after surgery? Any worse ( I don't know if it is possible!).
SafetyTurtle
on 12/1/11 2:48 am - Cincinnati, OH
I have had diarrhea constantly for about the last 18 years, basically since I hit puberty & developed PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome).  In the bathroom 6-15 times a day, rarely made it thru a meal w/o having to go to the bathroom 15-20 minutes after the first bite...I'd basically resigned myself to living like that, and figured there was no way surgery could make it worse.  All these people always talking about constipation...I couldn't even remember the last time I'd had a solid poop.

OMG...after the first 4-6 weeks, once I was consuming at least 60g of protein a day, and my intake was more solid than liquid, all of a sudden I got VERY regular, and normal type poops!  Granted, my regular is 4:30am-6am (I go 2 times usually), but I can set my clock to it, and I don't spend any other part of my day in the bathroom except to pee!  It is sooooooo wonderful, I cannot tell you! I attribute this to several things, first just the rerouting and basically starvation after surgery (cleansing perhaps?); I think the massive amounts of high quality protein have a constipating effect, and that's why others who were regular before get constipated now...it just improves my IBS; I started eating 2 Activia yogurts a day, and did this for 3 weeks...now I eat 2 Carbmaster (Kroger brand) yogurts a day, and still have fantastic bathroom habits.

Anyhow, sorry so incredibly TMI, but point is, I hope surgery does the same for you!  
syarbroG-5
on 12/1/11 3:02 am
Hey Ms Safety, I am happy for you........................ And I hope your reply inspires icnside to go all the way .................. 

IN IT TO WIN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icnside
on 12/1/11 3:23 am - Chesapeake, VA
Thank you so much for the info!! I am trying to think positively that my surgery will help my situation. It is great o hear an outcome like yours!
Waysta
on 12/1/11 3:24 am - TX
I have suffered with IBS since I was in Jr. High ( over 45 years ago) to the point that I didn't go anywhere and IF I did, I took a portable potty with me.  I have been known to stop along side the highway, or in a parking lot.  Didn't matter where I was...If I had to go....it was NOW !!!!!  And this occured several times a day. 
Didn't matter what I ate or what I was doing.....I had diarrhea.  After surgery, I actually got constipated.....couldn't believe it.....now I take miralax every morning and I am pretty regular and it actually has some form to it, not diarrhea.  This surgery has made me feel normal in more ways than one.   I know TMI, but if you EVER suffered with IBS, you want to hear the stories to know that you are not alone..... 
I hope this surgery does the same for you....Good Luck !!!!!
Slow and steady !!!!  Have a Blessed Day !!!!!!                             
dori M.
on 12/1/11 11:48 am - MD
I've had the diarrhea type IBS for about 13yrs. Since surgery everything has changed. I have to take 2 stool softeners everyday in order to "go" regularly

LosingSally
on 12/1/11 1:29 pm
The impact on stool with RNY is usually constipation. So this may level things out for you.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 197 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 8 views
Recent Topics