I'm really scared and I need advice

hellokittycrazee
on 12/1/11 11:40 am - NJ

I'm almost 9 months out from my RNY, and I just found out today, at work, that I'm pregnant.

I'm really scared.  Not only am I 37 with 2 full time jobs, but my fiance and I have 5 kids between us already.  Obviously I didn't intend for this to happen and I knew the risks of increased fertility, so we took precautions, but somehow I'm still pregnant. 

I have a hundred questions and I'm in shock. My first concern is nutritionally.....how do I handle that?  Do I increase any vitamins or take anything new?  Right now I'm taking the basics...multi, iron, calcium, B12.

Do I eat the same or increase protein?  What about my weight loss during and after pregnancy?  Like most of us my biggest fear is regain and I know several people that regained everything after a pregnancy.

I certainly never expected this to happen.  I'm nervous about calling my surgeon.  I assume I'll be a higher risk because of my age plus my recent wls. 

I think I'm rambling now....I'm sorry.....I just don't know how to handle this.

Does any one have any advice or suggestions?  Please tell me I'm not the only one that has gone thru this lol.

Thanks,

Meg

gbsinsatx
on 12/1/11 11:57 am - San Antonio, TX
 I am too old to be pregnant (57). Please call your surgeon in the morning. I know it is not advised to become pregnant within the 1st year of RNY but I have read many posts about others who have found they were pregnant sooner. Please don't worry. Your surgeon will be able to help you with this. I will keep you in my prayers.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

dori M.
on 12/1/11 11:58 am - MD
Meg

Relax you and the baby will be fine. I have no firsthand experience with this but I've read about it quite a few times on here. I have 2 friends that got pregnant about 2yrs post and them and babies are fine.

Don't be afraid to call ur surgeon and make sure you find an ob that has some experience dealing with wls patients.

Oh and Congratulations

timchase01
on 12/1/11 12:01 pm
 I have a friend that had RNY and found out 6 months afterwards that she was pregnant.  So it does happen.  You definitely need to talk to your surgeon and ob-gyn asap though because you will need to change your vitamins around a little.  To much vitamin A can cause birth defects, which you don't want.  They should be able to help you find a good vitamin balance that will be good for you and the baby.

Hope that helps a little.
hlacy
on 12/1/11 12:01 pm - Chandler, AZ
I agree with gbsinsatx. Your surgeon can guide you and prepare you for this. They may also be able to refer you to a WLS-knowledgeable OBGYN if you need one. Many people have had this happen, so I am sure as long as you keep focused on the nutrition you will be fine! 
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

hellokittycrazee
on 12/1/11 12:02 pm - NJ

Thank you!! I'd be scared even if I hadn't had the surgery but it adds a lot more to worry about. 

Can I still lose while pregnant, and should I?

Dave Chambers
on 12/1/11 12:47 pm - Mira Loma, CA
You likely won't lose wt during pregnancy.  Get nutritional advice from your docs. You just want to be healthy for you and the baby.  My surgeon stresses the fact that women should use 2 forms of birth control during the first year due to high chances of pregnancy. Good luck.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Ladytazz
on 12/1/11 12:52 pm
There is a forum for pregnancy after WLS.  I am sure they can help answer all your questions.  I do know that it has happened many times before, even with people earlier out then you.  Don't feel all alone.  Call your surgeon tomorrow and post at the pregnancy forum tonight if you can for some reassurance.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/postop_pregnancy/

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

myminime
on 12/1/11 12:56 pm - Eugene, OR
Just my own two cents .. and my pregnancies were pre-WLS.

Because I was overweight when I was pregnant with my babies, I was totally stressed out about gestational diabetes and all the studies about how obesity and weight gain during pregnancy impacts the baby. My OB approved a lower (yet still reasonable) calorie diet and I lost weight with both babies during my first two trimesters. The third trimester I gained weight, but kept it to the minimal 15 pounds. I had two very healthy bouncing babies, and they're still in great shape

Good luck to you!
HW:  255  SW:  225.7  CW:  156.3

hellokittycrazee
on 12/1/11 1:30 pm - NJ

I didn't realize there was a forum for this, thank you.  It's pretty hard to switch gears from the business of losing weight to having a baby.  I'll call my surgeon in the morning even though I'm dreading that conversation.