How long?

hjb
on 12/1/11 1:11 pm
How long do you stay in the hospital after RNY? are you released same day, do you need to spend a day or two?

What was your experience?

I don't have a date yet but I'm expecting to have surgery in early 2012 :)
poet_kelly
on 12/1/11 1:15 pm - OH
I stayed one night.  I think think one or two nights is common.  I don't know of any that did it as an outpatient surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LivinTheDream
on 12/1/11 1:16 pm
I had my Lap RNY on Thursday morning and went home Saturday morning. 

I feel I had a really good experience except for 2 nurses that didn't listen and didn't read.  The first one didn't listen to the report from the nurse before her and the second one didn't read the drug orders and almost gave me a med I didn't need.  I caught her though.

I was off pain meds by about the 4th or 5th day.  The worst part for me was the drain tube that I had in until day 7.  So far so good.  Today marks 3 weeks since I had my surgery.  At this point, would I do it again...Yep! 

Good luck!
HW: 360  SW: 333

dori M.
on 12/1/11 1:20 pm - MD
I had my surgery Monday morning and went home on Wednesday morning.
Cabin_Fever
on 12/1/11 1:21 pm
I went in on Monday afternoon to have my surgery, and was released on Wednesday afternoon.  That's pretty standard.

Good luck to you!

"We either make ourselves miserable or we
make ourselves strong.  The amount of work is the same...."    - Don Juan Matus

bratz-78
on 12/1/11 1:38 pm
Hello, 
My name is Maria  and i saw your post,and i have a quick question for you. Would you have been able to tolerate a 3 hour car ride by friday, When you had surgery on Monday?
Thank-you
Maria
A. C
on 12/1/11 1:53 pm
maria - i could have done it with stops for walking around and exercising my legs, but it wouldn't have been fun!

good luck
Cabin_Fever
on 12/1/11 2:02 pm
Yes, I could have done it, but I would have been tired.  Maybe nap a little.  I would also have needed my liquids.  You can't wear a seat belt............so, just keep that in mind.

"We either make ourselves miserable or we
make ourselves strong.  The amount of work is the same...."    - Don Juan Matus

gabbyabby
on 12/1/11 10:53 pm
I live 1.5 hours away from my hospital and I had no problem.  I also had no problem wearing a seatbelt, and have never been told I shouldnt.

bratz-78
on 12/1/11 2:02 pm
Thank-you for your quick response, I have a young daughter that has a cheerleading compition and its 3 hours away. She would not be inpressed if I missed it! im a little distressed and thinking of changing my surgery date!
thank-you again
Maria
Most Active
Recent Topics