Lumpy Protein

K_Behr
on 12/3/11 6:01 am
So I just started having to drink protein shakes. But everytime I make them there are either lumps or if I put it in the blender it triples the amount and puts a bunch of air in it. Any suggestions?
Kim2011
on 12/3/11 6:16 am - NC
Have you tried a blender bottle? I love them. They do make a bit of foam sometimes but I just scoop the foam out and drink!

wendydettmer
on 12/3/11 6:16 am - Rochester, NY
I use one of the blender ball bottles and they work awesome to stop lumps. What kind of protein are you using? Sometimes that can make a difference as well.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Ladytazz
on 12/3/11 6:30 am
I use a blender bottle as well but if you don't have one you can mix a little water/milk with it and make a smooth paste and then gradually stir in more of the fluid until it is mixed.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

poet_kelly
on 12/3/11 6:35 am - OH
How are you making them?  Some brands seem to dissolve better than others.

the blender does make them foamy, although some brands get foamier than others.  If you let it sit in the fridge for a while, some of the foam goes away.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

K_Behr
on 12/3/11 6:52 am
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will have to try and let it sit in the fridge tonight.

I don't have a blender bottle..so I may have to look into purchasing one.

Right now I'm using the CVS brand because that's what I had bought before surgery for weight loss. Just trying to use what I have then going to buy something different, cause it's not very tasty.
poet_kelly
on 12/3/11 8:39 am - OH
I tried a hot protein drink with the CVS protein and got lumps, even though I made it the way I always make hot protein drinks and usually it prevents lumps.  You may just have a lumpy brand.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dave Chambers
on 12/3/11 9:09 am - Mira Loma, CA
Blender ball works well. I used a Magic Bullet, but found that mixing shakes with water made them far less foamy. If you try to add protein to boiling liquids, it will clump too. You have to blend protein powder in a small amount of water into a creamer consistency, that you can add to hot foods and stir in--like adding to coffee, oatmeal, etc. I still use a generic whey isolate protein--it mixes easily in water for making SF pudding, etc. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

JUDY C.
on 12/3/11 11:41 am - Bear, DE

I can't stand lumps so I strain my shake using a tea strainer.
Works every time!

~Believe in Yourself~