I knew it would be hard, but....

Tali S.
on 12/3/11 10:09 pm - Jerusalem, Israel
I didn't realize it would be THIS hard.
I am officially an emotional wreck.

I had no idea how much comfort and soothing food was providing to me pre WLS. I feel desperate to eat, like it's truely a drug.  I feel like my security blanket has been ripped away and all I want is my mom. Who sadly passed away almost 2 years ago.

I'm white-knuckling it here...

oh, and a 6 day stall (days7-12) isn't helping. Isn't it too early for this?!?!

Liz J.
on 12/3/11 10:15 pm - Woonsocket, RI
try to stay off the scale. Did you take your measurements?
Dave Chambers
on 12/3/11 10:19 pm - Mira Loma, CA
The surgery is only a tool towards wt loss. It really takes some work on your part too. Begin exercising, drink plenty of water, you'll likely need protein shakes now to get your 75g protein daily, etc. to start your journey. It appears you're only around 2 weeks post op, and you won't lose wt every week.  "Head hunger"  is an issue for newer post ops. Sudden wt loss increases hormone activity, and often leads to some depression and/or mood swings.  I'd highly recommend finding a support group to attend. Listening to other post op journeys often makes you feel somewhat better, realizing you're not the only one with similar issues.  If the depression becomes too much, be sure to find a medical professional to consult. Good luck on your journey. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Carol Y.
on 12/3/11 10:24 pm - WY
I can tell you that I was in the same situation that you are. Please know that it gets better. I hated where I was at 2 weeks out. I know it is hard to believe right now but every day will get better. After about 6 weeks I began feeling normal again.
I had my first stall at  3 weeks out for about a week and a half then I had a huge loss. I have found that is the way I lose, one week lose three weeks hold, and so on. I have also found that I lose several inches during the time of holding.

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/3/11 10:37 pm - Windsor, Canada
Keep yourself as busy as you can. This funk won't last forever I promise!

A stall in the 3-8th week is expected as your body switches from using temporary energy stores to burning stored fat

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

poet_kelly
on 12/3/11 11:22 pm - OH
Six days is not a stall.  It's just how normal weight loss works.  A stall if when you don't lose anything for about a month.  Or more.  If the normal weight loss stresses you out, stay off the scale.

But more importantly, what else can give you comfort?  I'm sorry to hear about your mom.  What do you think she would say if you could talk to her?  What would she do to comfort you if she was here?  I bet she'd love to see you getting healthy, huh?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amber B.
on 12/3/11 11:22 pm
I know exactly how you feel! Thank you for your post. I couldnt have said it any better. I had surgery just a day after you and I'm at a stall too! I understand completely what you mean about food. It is very hard but I just am staying positive and take it one day at a time. So sorry about the loss of your mom. positive thoughts and energy your way!
Barbara C.
on 12/3/11 11:59 pm - Raleigh, NC

Tali,

It is very normal to experience your first 'stop' or mini stall sometime within the first 10 days to 6 weeks post op. I had it happen too and was also distressed, but when I talked with my surgeon about it he told me that our weight doesn't come off in a steady down hill slide, but stair steps... a drop, then a stop, the a drop, followed by another stop. Many will say to stay off the scale, but I couldn't do that. What did work for me, was to only 'track' my weight loss on my surgery day; I still got on the scale every day, but tracking it on Tuesdays allowed me to see the trend downward. 

If you haven't done so yet, you should take front, back and profile photos of yourself in front of a doorway. It will allow you to actually see the the transformation you are undergoing. I would also suggest that you take full body measurements once a month. Sometimes when your scale is not showing progress the tape measure will show the progress. 

It is absolutely true the food can be like a drug and is often used by us as an emotional crutch. Joining a support group may be helpful. Another thing that may help is finding a good counselor that deals with eating disorders. I have also found a couple of books that have helped me, such as 'The Beck Diet Solution' and 10 Lessons from a Former Fat Girl. 

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother. I know from my own experience that no one can replace our parents. I hope that you will be able feel the presence of her love as you continue to make positive changes in your life. I'm sure that she is so very proud of you. 

Hang in there and know that it does get better.

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

NANCY C.
on 12/4/11 12:02 am - OKLAHOMA CITY, OK
I am right there with you!  I lost 15 pounds the first 10 days and have hovered at that number up and down now for the last 15 days.  I am sure my expectations were too high.  I see photo's of people that have lost 50+ pounds in 8 weeks and I feel like a failure.  

I hear Kelly say stay off the scale if it upsets you but I keep thinking TODAY I WILL SEE A LOSS.  I go back to work this week and know everyone is going to look at me and wonder why I was off because they won't see weight loss. :(   Tomorrow I have my IVC filter removed.  Maybe with surgical sedation I will finally get some sleep and feel a little better.

Right now - this sucks. I am hungry, I am not losing weight, I am cranky and I need sleep.  

HW  313   SW  285   Goal 155

owlisn
on 12/4/11 4:11 am - NC
Last night my husband made chili for dinner and I craved it so bad! I even has a sip of the liquid, which was my first taste of full liquids. I don't want him to alter his meals because of me, because I know I will have to be around food.

Have you noticed that food commercials are everywhere? Holy crap! Everything looks so good and I think about how long it will be before I have real food again. I have to remind myself that this is a lifestyle change and it will be full of ups and downs

Try to get up and move around when you are wanting food. That has helped me. Good luck and let us know how things are going.
Allison