Birth Control

mrslatch
on 12/8/11 8:22 am - Fort Campbell, KY
Is something like the patch, nuva ring, IUD better for us than the pill for life? Or are we eventually able to take the pill and not worry about the absorption issues?
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

SarinaHaas
on 12/8/11 8:36 am - NY
RNY on 02/28/12
I really can't answer your specific question, but I just wanted to say I love, love, love my Mirena IUD!
Dave Chambers
on 12/8/11 9:10 am - Mira Loma, CA
I haven't seen any data, but I'm sure you surgeon has some available to them.  My surgeon strongly urges recent post ops to use 2 forms of birth control for about 2 years to prevent pregnancy until wt is lost.  I don't think the total issue is absorption, but another major component is the increase hormonal activity as you lose wt.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

grmadeb01
on 12/8/11 10:22 pm - FL
i got very conflicting information from my surgeon and my OBGYN...sureon said we asborb 100% of the birth control pill,my OBGYN said she has had patients get preg. after bypass surgery while taking the pill...so i ended up getting the mirena IUD back in sept. so far so good..i have had only light spotting since and no periods really...it has been nice to not have to take any more pills...when i get the spotting, i just record it in my little calander thing i keep in my purse as you will have to say when your last period was at some point, but if you dont have them, kinda a problem...so i record the spotting...i am 50 years, i have 3 grandchildren so, getting preg at this point in my life is not really an option...
have a great day
debby
Go-Nicole-Go
on 12/8/11 10:53 pm - MA
Hey.. I just went through this..
My surgeon and obgyn both agreed the iud is the way to go. You can go for the hormone free or regular iud. We do malabsorb so taking the pill is risky and isn't nearly as effective. You can use the patch, it just isn't nearly as effective as a form of birth control. Oh and I've heard many horror sorties, well actually funny stories about the nuva ring going flying out during sex.. I just had my iud put in and I am so happy I did it. Being in law school and in my 20s I a, not easy for a kid at all! Especially not before I settle down..
Good luck, Nicole
KELLY R.
on 12/9/11 4:23 am - PA
RNY on 04/04/12

I'm looking for this type of advise as well.  My GYN is really pushing the Mirena, but I've heard way too many horror stories about it.  As for the Nuvaring, I tried it, but how the hell that thing is supposed to stay in there is beyond me.. it's much larger than I anticipated and it just kept sliding out.  Never thought about the patch, but I've already discussed condoms and spermicide with my hubby and he said he was cool with that for a year or so.  Plus my husband works for a Catholic hospital so our insurance won't cover anything related to contraception, grrr!!!

We really want kids so once the coast is clear we're gonna go for it :)

Peace & Blessings... Kelly                                             

HW 292 / CW 191 / GW 130

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 135 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?