Gassy question

Ding-E-Girl
on 12/10/11 9:50 am - MS
      Dont mean to gross anybody out or anything but do you post opers think this surgery helps with gas issues ?    I am PRE--OP and a gassy person and they did find t poly or whatever that bacteria is in the stomach and I had to take 2 weeks of antibiotics for that.    I know alot of gas is caused from the foods we eat but it seems like after this surgery we eat alot better which would result is less gas/stomach issues ?    Would this be correct??? 
dori M.
on 12/10/11 9:59 am - MD
I don't think there is a definitive answer to your question. I think everyone is different. There are alot of people on here that complain of excessive gas since surgery. My body has pretty much stayed the same.

Dave Chambers
on 12/10/11 11:11 am - Mira Loma, CA
I hear many women in my support groups who say they have bad gas as a post op, but they were not "a gassy person" prior to RNY surgery.  There are days I have gas, but most days not.  Each patient is different, and some of the gas issues are due to some foods chosen to eat.  Devrom is a tablet you can buy to help with gas.  Ozium spray works well to kill the bacteria in gas that causes the odor.  Ozium comes in about 4 scents--fresh car, citrus, natural and one other. I prefer the natural as it doesn't give off the odor of fresh flowers, an orange, a car, etc.  My wife used this daily after her gastric surgery in 1980.  Your digestion tract is changed with surgery, which affects the odor.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

nfarris79
on 12/11/11 12:48 am - Germantown, MD
 The GI tract has lots of usually good bacteria. Do you possibly mean H.Pylori? Alot of people are prescribed antibiotics to get that under control, especially preop, to reduce risk of ulcers. You might also think about taking probiotics to help get the bacterial balance under control.
So postop you'll likely be eating both less in quantity and also restricting common problem foods (like greens, broccoli, beans****il later out when you can tolerate more fiberous or complex foods. Consider if you have any dairy sensitivity as many people can develop lactose intolerance postop and that DEFINATELY causes gas. Also be careful of foods with sugar alcohols in it postop, also causes gas. Talk with your NUT about figuring out what kind of diet can help eliminate or reduce gas-producing foods and reducing your risk of being an even more gassy person!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Cankles2Ankles :D
on 12/11/11 9:41 pm - Seattle, WA
RNY on 01/25/12
I believe that there is no such thing as a "gross question" 

I love questions like this because they help us Pre-Ops to have an idea of what to anticipate. Keep them coming! 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views