Yet another poop question!!

rayjack12
on 12/26/11 3:54 am
I just got done reading Kelly's, now I have one of my own!

I'm a year out and just now starting to have stomach issues.  Over the past month my stomach cramps up a good bit and my poop is soft, and at times runny. *bleh*  Sometimes to the point where, if I am out, I have to head home because it is hurting so bad.

I just had my year check up.  The doctor said it could be a vitamin deficiency.  He also said I could be becoming lactose intolerant.  So I knocked off of the milk products and that helped somewhat for a week or so.  But now it has returned.  I thought it might have been that I was eating too much junky food since it was the holiday, so I got back on track as far as that goes, the problem is still there. 

I'm waiting on my lab results.  The doctor said if we tried the most common food sensitivities and couldn't find anything, a CAT scan would be the next step.  I didn't ask too many questions simply because I thought it would be something simple, like milk.  What, exactly, would a CAT scan show.

What could other causes be?
(deactivated member)
on 12/26/11 4:18 am
 Well I wasn't exactly sure so I did a little google search for you.

What are some common uses of the procedure?

This procedure is typically used to help diagnose the cause of abdominal or pelvic pain and diseases of the internal organs, bowel and colon, such as:

Click to view larger
CT slice through the mid abdomen.

CAT scan: abdomen

• infections such as appendicitisdiverticulitispyelonephritis or infected fluid collections, aka. abscesses.
  • inflammatory processes such as pancreatitis, liver cirrhosis or inflammatory bowel disease such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease.
  • cancers of the colon, liver, kidneys, pancreas and bladder as well as lymphoma.
  • kidney and bladder stones.
  • abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA) and other diseases of the vessels such as blood clots and abnormal narrowings or stenoses of the vessels.

CT scanning of the abdomen/pelvis is also performed to:

• quickly identify injuries to the liver, spleen, kidneys or other internal organs in cases of trauma.
  • guide biopsies and other procedures such as abscess drainages and minimally invasive tumor treatments.
  • plan for and assess the results of surgery, such as organ transplants or gastric bypass.
  • stage, plan and properly administer radiation treatments for tumors as well as monitor response to chemotherapy.
I am sure there are many other things the cat scan will see, but this was just one quick search. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Pam

•  
Barb H.
on 12/26/11 4:21 am - Kailua-Kona, HI
Revision on 01/25/12
Gluten is another culprit. It can be a challenge to find glute -free foods, but not impossible especially now that so many people are going gluten-free. Keep us posted as to what you find our and I hope you find a solution!
Lap band 03/09; revised to RNY 01/12
Read about my journey at www.journeyofafatwoman.wordpress.com

(deactivated member)
on 12/26/11 7:42 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Sure sounds like a food sensitivity problem to me; my DIL is totally gluten-free (tough, but doable) and it has really helped her.

Oh, yeah--limit the sugar alcohols (any artificial sweetner that ends with the "ol" ) because they cause gastric distress also.

And use some GasX.

Good luck!
rayjack12
on 12/26/11 9:28 am
Thank you, ladies!!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 773 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 388 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 505 views