Hunger

vim_and_vinegar
on 12/26/11 11:30 am, edited 12/25/11 11:44 pm
Anyone else 2 weeks out and feeling hunger? I mean actual physical hunger, not head hunger. I get real aching growling hungry, and what's more, I have never thrown up or even felt nauseous. I can tolerate pretty much anything except milk. I don't know whether to feel lucky or worried. This is NOT what I expected.

ETA: I should add that I've lost 20 pounds so far.

Thumbelina
on 12/26/11 11:33 am - MI
 I had my RNY Aug 23 2010 and I still don't get hungry.. The Dr said I'm one of the lucky ones that don't ! 
vim_and_vinegar
on 12/26/11 11:44 am
 Wow! I'm jealous. 

Keeves
on 12/26/11 11:38 am - Elizabeth, NJ
Definitely! It's not like they severed all our nerves, right? If the pouch is empty, we're going to feel hungry.

But here's the critical question: Do you feel this way even after you ate a meal of the size that your surgeon says to eat? That sounds like something to worry about.

My stomach starts growling about 4-6 hours after eating, which I find very reassuring.
vim_and_vinegar
on 12/26/11 11:43 am
 My surgeon didn't give me exact guidelines. However, I do know I get hungry VERY quickly after eating -- only about two or three hours after eating what should be a good-sized meal for my pouch (like a cup of soup or a whole protein shake). I had a yogurt cup only half an hour ago and don't feel full. 

LJ1972
on 12/26/11 11:46 am - FL
actually, nerves ARE cut

keep in mind soup and shakes are going to funnel out of your pouch pretty quickly. When you get to dense proteins like chicken, pork, beef you will find the hunger stays away longer (and if it doesn't, it is more likely head hunger)

COURAGE TO START, STRENGTH TO ENDURE, RESOLVE TO FINISH 
                              HW 353 SW 317 Original GW 180  Current Wt  170 
                               First 5k 59:18; 5k PR 32:06;  1st 10k 1:20:27; PR 1:08:36
                                                    1st Half Marathon 2:48

Pensacola Double Bridge Run 15k- 1:47:34
                                                  Three Sprint Triathlons

vim_and_vinegar
on 12/26/11 11:49 am
That makes perfect sense, and a HUGE RELIEF to hear! Next week I'm moving on to purees, so hopefully beans and tuna will be dense enough to fill me up...

LJ1972
on 12/26/11 12:04 pm, edited 12/26/11 12:15 am - FL
I was reading through some stuff on my surgeon's site and thought of you:

An increase in appetite or hunger may be noticed by some individuals about 10

to 14 days after surgery. During this time most patients feel water intake is

improved and easier to consume.

vim_and_vinegar
on 12/26/11 12:13 pm
 !!!

Thank you SO MUCH for tracking this down. Now I don't have to worry that I'm some wls-proof freak. :P

Keeves
on 12/26/11 12:28 pm - Elizabeth, NJ
In the pureed stage, I found low-fat cottage cheese (NOT the no salt, it tastes awful) and greek yogurt to be the best sources of protein.

Going to the supermarket is a whole new experience. I've always been aware of calories, but protein was never particularly important to me before. I'm learning a lot!