stabbing pain still week and a half out

wendydettmer
on 1/1/12 12:41 am - Rochester, NY
 So, I have one area that still has a pretty serious stabbing/burning sensation whenever i shift/try to stand up different/bend over wrong, etc.  it's my large right incision, near where my gallbladder used to be.  Sometimes it literally feels like my insides are ripping.

I'm trying to not twist or strain or anything, but I just don't know if this is normal recovery time.  I'm afraid to call the on call person, because it's the holdiay weekend they might just send me to the ER.

anyone have any ideas?

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

poet_kelly
on 1/1/12 12:49 am - OH
It's probably normal.  Don't be afraid to call though.  Even if they advise you to go to the ER, you don't have to go if you don't want to.  Although I'm guessing you'd want to if it was likely to be something serious, right?  But they could just tell you if it's normal or not.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wendydettmer
on 1/1/12 1:52 am - Rochester, NY
Yeah if it was serious I would want to know, I would just have to take my kids with me today which I don't want to do. If i'm walking around it's ok. I might just see if it improves at all today and call tomorrow if I need to.

Thanks Kelly

Michelle V.
on 1/1/12 4:00 am - Livonia, MI
Thank God you posted about your pain. I have the same problem. I had surgery on 12/14 and the pain started less than a week later. My doctor said it was normal pain and would eventually go away (12/22). 12/28 the pain was so bad I almost went to the ER. I ended up paging the doctor who ordered a CT scan and told me to rest. Friday I got stronger pain meds but nothing is helping. I plan on contacting the doctor again tomorrow. If your doctor finds anything that helps you, please let me know.

Michelle
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/1/12 4:20 am - OH
 My RNY was open, but when I had my gallbladder out (lap), I had pain similar to what you are describing for almost 4 weeks when getting out of bed or bending over.  The surgeon who did the surgery said not to worry as long as the pain only happened when I stressed the muscle there (which it did), but to let his office know if it became a constant pain.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

wendydettmer
on 1/1/12 5:36 am - Rochester, NY
Thank you. It is not constant. I've tried really hard today to not twist my torso at all and that has helped a lot. It's just hard sometimes. I didn't think my gallbladder removal would give me more issues then anything!

Yentalicious
on 1/1/12 9:32 am
I have the same issue-I had a sleeve converted to a Roux en y on 12/19.  The pain is in my lower ab. and whenever I try to sit or bend or stand the wrong way, it's like hot scissors are cutting thru my stomach.  When I had my original sleeve in '09 I had the same issue; went to ER,  had CT scan and everything was normal.  My. Dr. does not have an answer and I have found that pain meds don't help.  I also used lidoderm patches from my Dr. and they provide some temp relief.  I have been using Tylenol and anti-inflammatory to try and take the edge off.  I take walks with the dogs hoping that will stretch out whatever muscle or nerve is irritated. 

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/12 4:57 pm
I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE AND IM 3 WEEKS POST OP TOMORROW, THE FACT THE THE WOUND HAS HEAL FROM THE OUTSIDE DOES NOT MEAN IT HAS HEALED FROM THE INSIDE(THAT WHAT I TELL MY SELF) SO IM TAKING IT SLOW WITH ALL MY MOVEMENTS AND BEING CAREFUL WHEN I SIT,STAND AND I DONT BEND AT ALL TO PICK UP ANYTHING.. I TRULY BELIVE THAT THE INCISION FROM THE INSIDE TAKE LONGER TO HEAL THEN THE OUTSIDE SO TRY TO GIVE IT AN OTHER WEEK OR SO, BUT IF ITS TO MUCH TO BEAR THEN DONT, GO TO THE E.R OR GO IN AND SEE YOUR DR... ITS BETTER TO BE SAFE THEN SORRY.. GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE KEEP US POSTED...