RnY vs. Sleeve (VSG) what are ur thoughts?

tillmadd
on 1/3/12 9:48 am - WI
 A good friend of mine is not sure which surgery to have the RnY vs. VSG...most surgeons in our area have more experience with RnY. My surgeon prefers Sleeves. I love mine!!! So much restriction. I just want a balanced perspective from people on this forum. I realize the most important rule is both surgeries are "tools" only for weight loss  & this is a very personal decision. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!!
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

melissa_whitener
on 1/3/12 10:29 am - PA
RNY on 12/31/13
 I have mixed feelings about the choice, since the gastric bypass offers faster weight loss in the first year or so, but also requires lifelong supplements due to lack of absorption.  For me, the choice is to go for the bypass so I can have a very small pouch, lose weight faster, and hopefully be able to exercise sooner!  luckily vitamins have become really cheap!
tillmadd
on 1/3/12 10:58 am - WI
 Thanks for the insight!

Jenspunky
on 1/3/12 11:32 am
RNY on 01/16/12

I had actually wanted the VSG because it allows you to keep the pyloric valve and it doesn't have the malabsorbtion factor but my insurance would not approve it because the data doesn't go back far enough, whereas RnY has been around longer and so there is data going back several more years. 
tillmadd
on 1/3/12 11:51 am - WI
 wow thats interesting! I am glad my insurance paid for it.

ShebasMom
on 1/3/12 12:59 pm
Revision on 07/05/16
I also wanted the sleeve, but my insurance wouldn't pay for it. My surgeon also said it wasn't the best surgery with my severe GERD. With the rny, you can't take NSAIDS because of high risk of ulcers. The malabsorption of calories ends around 18-24 months, but not the malabsorption of nutrients. You always need to make sure you're getting in enough protein and fluids daily. Some people suffer from chronic constipation requiring daily meds. About 30-40% of people dump from sugars and/or fats.
I am satisfied with this surgery because I needed something due to to my comorbidities. My weight loss has been slower than average. (Due to a knee injury/surgery, which I can't take NSAIDS for, the healing has been slower and my activity was decreased). I no longer take BP and cholesterol meds, my reflux and ankle swelling have improved greatly, and I no longer snore or have shortness of breath with exertion.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

thenecklacelady
on 1/3/12 1:29 pm
 My husband has the VSG, and I have the RNY.

Husband:  Takes a few vitamins/pills once a day.
Me:  Take MANY vitamins/calcium all day long (2 hours apart)

Husband:  has not vomited or had any complications in 3 years.
Me:  Had 2 strictures and too much vomiting to count episodes.

Husband:  Reached goal in the first year (lost 159 lbs) and has kept it off.
Me:  Never reached goal.  But I feel good!

Husband:  Eats what he wants, just in smaller amounts.
Me:  Have to be careful about what I eat.  Can't tolerate many foods.

Husband:  Can take NSAIDS.
Me: Can only take Tylenol.

I wanted a VSG, but it's a long story and I ended up with a RNY.

thin_soon
on 7/10/12 6:04 pm
thank you for the comparison. I m scheduled for a sleeve July 23  but I have heard you only lose 40 to 50 lbs.  so I have been going back and forth between RNY and the sleeve but I think you have helped me feel good about the sleeve. If you had to do it again would you do the sleeve?
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views