Iron

Erin M.
on 1/4/12 4:07 am - VA
So i am just about 3 1/2 weeks out. Nut told me to take 2 Flintstones, 1000mcg B12 3x a week, and 2000mcg calcium citrate everyday. I chose to take celebrate multivitamins instead, because I know the Flintstones are lacking. But now my question is do I need to take supplemental iron as well? My current multi does not have any iron and my dr nor nut ever mentioned taking iron, but I will definitely take it if it will avoid future issues. Do any of you have any suggestions for me? Any help would be great appreciated.
HW 325
SW 310
GW 175

So ready to start my new life !!!!

poet_kelly
on 1/4/12 4:26 am - OH
Good for you for knowing better than to take Flintstones.

You will need iron.  You need 36 mg if you don't menstruate and 54-63 mg if you do menstruate, according to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.

I like carbonyl iron because it's absorbed well and usually does not cause constipation.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Erin M.
on 1/4/12 4:34 am - VA
Thank you so much! I am able to take all of the iron at once or is it like calcium where you need to break it up? And I need to take the iron and calcium a few hours apart right? I really appreciate your help! I don't get my labs done for another 2 months and I don't want to wait that long to get on top of all my vitamins.
HW 325
SW 310
GW 175

poet_kelly
on 1/4/12 4:37 am - OH
You can take it all at once.  And take it at least two hours away from your calcium.

If you take it with vitamin C, you'll absorb it better.  You need to take 200 mg C for every 30 mg iron in order for the C to help.  You don't have to take the C, though.  It just helps if you do.

Sounds like you are on top of your vitamins.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Erin M.
on 1/4/12 4:51 am - VA
Thank you so much Kelly! You are a lifesaver. I am looking at vitalady right now and I think I found one that will work for me. I truly appreciate your help.
HW 325
SW 310
GW 175

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 19 replies · 79 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 246 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 300 views