Hair Loss

Samgraves31
on 1/12/12 7:55 am - MD

I am having surgery next Wednesday. Over the past month I have noticed hair loss. I have one bald spot that is the size of 3 quarters, one that is the size of a finger nail and the other is the size of a quarter. I had my blood work done for the surgery and the blood work came out great. I went today to my primary doctor and they ran more blood work and they were also able to get me in with a dermatologist next Tuesday. I was thinking that this could be alopecia. Does anyone know anthing about this? Will this stop me from getting my surgery? I have told my weight loss doctor about this and he said we will have to see what the dermatologist says on tuesday. All this stress is going to cause me to lose more hair! Why cant anything go my way!

MickyD
on 1/12/12 8:46 am - KY
If you haven't had surgery yet then the hair loss can't be from the weight loss.  From what I understand it begins during the 4th to 5th month.  I thought alopecia is inherited.  I know a very young girl that has it and I'm pretty sure it runs in her family.  Could it be a vitamin deficiency or stress?  I hope this passes for you.

4MIILUV
on 1/12/12 8:54 am - MINT HILL, NC
EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OK. THAT'S WHAT I FEARED AT FIRST BUT IF YOU GET THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF PROTEIN IN YOUR BODY IT WILL HELP YOU. ALL THE PEOPLE I HAVE TALKED TO TOLD ME THIS THAT HAVE ALREADY HAD THE PROCEDURE DONE. MY DATE IS IN TOO WEEKS. HANG I THERE A GOOD REPORT IS ON THE WAY FOR YOU!!!!
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/12/12 10:33 am - OH
 I cannot imagine why it would cause you to have to delay surgery, but I'm nt a doctor.  Hopefully Nik will respond because she has this issue...  If she doesn't, send her a PM...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Cathrine J.
on 1/12/12 12:45 pm - Victoria, Canada
RNY on 02/01/12
It will not stop you from getting your surgery.

I've developed alopecia areata (small bald patches) over the last year or so.  It's an autoimmune thing.  My doctor prescribed cortisone creams to apply three times daily and the hair started growing back in.  Most of it was gone and then a few month later another larger patch appeared.  I'm trying the cream again but depending how my hair falls the patch is revealed.  I use a barrette to hold some hair over it from time to time.

A couple years ago I developed psoriasis - another autoimmune thing - out of the blue.  My sister has alopecia and my other sister has an auto-immune thing with her spleen.  My mom has some vitiligo.  Maybe you have some autoimmune disease in your family, too.

It's nothing to worry about and it isn't caused by stress.  Here's a site - if it allows me to post it - that I visited when I first discovered I had it.  http://www.heralopecia.com/

HW 262, BMI 46.2 / SW 216, BMI 38.2 / CW 183 / GW 155
*45 lbs were lost pre-op.
5' 3 1/2"