Is popcorn bad for us? Bad Experience..

Shirley O.
on 1/15/12 8:04 am - NM
Last night I had some white cheese popcorn for the first time since surgery.  This morning while I was at a store I got sick to my stomach to the point where I had to leave store quickly and go home and clean up.  Although I didn't have other sypmtoms of dumping, I wondered if the popcorn might have caused me to dump?  Since then I have been ok, so I'm wondering if the popcorn is bad for us or if we don't digest it well?
Thanks,
Highest Weight 280, Surgery Weight  240  Current Weight 164  Goal Weight  140

Shirley
New Mexico

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/15/12 8:18 am - OH
No, if you ate the popcorn last night, what you experienced this morning was not dumping.  Too much time had passed even for the so-called "late dumping".

Some people do have trouble digesting popcorn, but there is nothing inherently wrong with having it (assuming it does not have a lot of extra calories and fat because of toppings or preparation method).  Air popped is best because there is nothing but the calories and carbs from the corn itself.  It is actually a good source of fiber, but even things like cheese popcorn can have a lot of extra fat that may make you sick.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

blondieann
on 1/15/12 8:19 am
If it was dumping it would of happened alot sooner then that.  It happens for me within a half an hour.  I eat popcorn all the time.  But everyone is different.  I also eat chicken and a friend of mine who is over a year out has trouble eating chicken at all.  She also eats popcorn with no issues.  Sorry you got sick.  We all hate that feeling.

dianabelle12
on 1/15/12 8:31 am
i eat popcorn often and have never had a problem with it

Shirley O.
on 1/15/12 8:47 am - NM
 Thanks for the quick replies from all of you!  I thought I had read of others here eating popcorn and thought it had been too long to dumpl  Only other thing I ate differently is this morning I blended more blueberries than normal with my greek yogurt, but I didn't think that should be an issue.

I looked at the fat and carbs in the popcorn before I ate it and it wasn't high so I went ahead and ate it.   I just can't figure out any reason for that happening, so I was just looking at anything I had eaten differently for an explanation.

You are right, none of us like that experience, but I guess it just happens sometimes.  Thankfully, I've not had that happen before and will hope it doesn't again.

Highest Weight 280, Surgery Weight  240  Current Weight 164  Goal Weight  140

Shirley
New Mexico

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 245 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 314 views
What's on your Monday Menu?