feeling full??

kayleighs_mommy
on 1/18/12 3:35 am
Just wondering for some of you had their surgery a while ago:    When did you first start feeling full??   I am currently 4 weeks out and still on soft foods.  I generally only eat 1/4 cup at a time, but if I'm hungry (and I do get actual physical hunger) I may eat 1/2 cup.

I have not had a feeling of fullness yet.  I know what I am supposed to feel, after being banded for 2 1/2 years.  But I have not felt it yet.

I read somewhere you start to feel more restriction when you start eating more solid foods.  Is this the case, and did this happen to you?  

I am concerned that I should be feeling full right now already and am not.
canigetthattogoplease.blogspot.com

RNY 12/20/2011

poet_kelly
on 1/18/12 3:49 am - OH
When you had surgery they cut the nerves that tell your brain you are full.  It can take a while for that to heal.  I probably didn't really get a full feeling until I was three months out and didn't really feel hungry until then, either.  Until then, you just need to measure your portions.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kayleighs_mommy
on 1/18/12 3:52 am
Got ya, thanks.   I was a bit concerned because my band did so much damage to my stomach.  I have all sorts of scar tissue from where it eroded.  I will just keep in mind that I have to carefully measure my food until that feeling comes back.

RNY 12/20/2011

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/18/12 4:08 am, edited 1/18/12 4:09 am
for me it was 3-4 months. At that time I suddenly was not able to eat as much as before. It was frustrating...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

knowbetterdobetter
on 1/18/12 4:26 am - FL
RNY on 03/26/12
My surgeon said that since we dont feel that full feeling we need to measure our foods. He said if we fill that full feeling we are overeating and stretching the pouch. He didnt give a timeframe so I dont know if he meant for the first few weeks or for the first few months. Maybe someone else can clarify this. I havent had a one on one appointment with him yet (still waiting for nurse to call with appointment) I just heard him say this at one of the support meetings I attended and he didnt go into details.
Jamie B.
on 1/18/12 4:36 am - MI
Its happening to me now....and I'm four months out...I am just now getting that feeling. I actually start to feel full after just a couple bites of dense food, like chicken or a protein bar. Its helping me to slow down while I eat.

Jamie        
Keeves
on 1/18/12 5:12 am - Elizabeth, NJ
I was 2 1/2 weeks out, and had 1/2 cup of creamy soup for supper. But that wasn't enough; I wanted something more solid. So I took ONE slice of low-fat turkey roll, sliced it into a dozen pieces, and ate them one at a time. Halfway through, I just had to stop. I was stuffed!

I still have trouble believing that one half of a slice of deli meat made the difference between hungry and stuffed!

Martha P.
on 1/18/12 5:50 am - Timberlake, NC
Are you making sure not to drink anything 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after you eat.  I am about 4 weeks out and I feel very full after about 2 to 4 ozs of food.

Martha P.

kayleighs_mommy
on 1/18/12 6:10 am
On January 18, 2012 at 1:50 PM Pacific Time, Martha P. wrote:
Are you making sure not to drink anything 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after you eat.  I am about 4 weeks out and I feel very full after about 2 to 4 ozs of food.
I am definitely not drinking for at least a half hour after.  I was told a couple of years ago by my nut when I was banded that before is not important, since the reason for not drinking afterwards is so you don't push anything through, and beforehand there is nothing in the pouch.  But..... maybe I will try waiting before too.

RNY 12/20/2011

WoodsonArcher
on 1/18/12 6:04 am - TX
What a great question. i am having the same issue. i am 6 weeks out and i have no feeling of fullness. A few times i have ate too much and vomited as I think the food was sitting in my asophagus. I will keep a closer eye on my portions knowing it may be a while before I can tell if i am full.

Most Active
Recent Topics