Setting goals?

BrennaRawks
on 1/19/12 11:14 pm - CT
RNY on 10/03/12
I keep thinking this is a dumb question with an obvious answer that I'm just not seeing. I have no idea how to set an appropriate weight loss goal. Is there a limit to how much you can lose? How did you set your goals? As big as I am, I'm not sure if it's even possible to get down to a normal BMI. I need to lose 207lbs to be considered a healthy BMI. I'm just at a loss. I've never lost more than 67lbs at a time. Help?
Roxana1961
on 1/19/12 11:24 pm - NY
 I would think everyone`s goal is to get in the healthy BMI ... start thinking positive , you will get there !! 
H.A.L.A B.
on 1/19/12 11:48 pm
not everyone.  BMI is really not an idication how healthy the person is and the body composition.
It is one - very defective - IMO _ indicator about the weight to body hight ratio... it doe snot take into account the bones, the muscles... and extra skin...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

tamalong
on 1/19/12 11:48 pm - UT
My goal was to get to 140, average for someone my height 5'4 1/2", healthy BMI. Or so I thought. After visiting my doctor last week for my first multidisciplinary visit she said she wants my goal at 175. I was a little shocked at that number, but she said that because I have been obese for so long something about my body is used to being fat and I don't remember what else. I still think 140 to 150 would be comfortable for me, but I think I will just let my body decide as long as I follow doctors orders and as long as I'm healthy. HEALTHY is my number 1 goal. Would I like to wear a size 8? Oh heck yeah, but a 10/12 would be ok too, as long as I am healthy and happy.
Tami
Doing my 3 month Multi-Disciplinary diet. Hoping to have my RNY late May early June.
SW: 256 CW: 251

fatfreemama
on 1/20/12 12:03 am - San Jose, CA
Truthly, I set an arbitrary goal that I've never reached.  I'd still like to weigh less than my skinny 6'1" hubby (he weighs 170), but that still hasn't happened.  However, I wear a size 10/12, have completed 4 half marathons, 1 12K, and 1 5K (I walk/run), can bike, snorkle, hike with my family, do zumba and tap, and dance the night away at a Bar Mitvah.  I'm off all my meds.  I had sleep apnea, high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, bad knees, ...  I couldn't even walk 1/4 mile without my lower back and knees hurting.  The reason I'm telling you all this is because I really believe goals shouldn't be about weight, but about health.  Work towards getting healthy, learning and embracing new healthy habits, being able to do things you couldn't do before like shop in a normal sized shop, walk into a room and be able to sit in any chair, go for a long walk with a friend, ...  These are attainable goals and ones that will make you feel great about yourself.  Setting a "number" goal and then maybe never getting there will only create negative feelings of failure.

Good luck!  I've lost around 173 pounds, so I know you can do it!

Jan
Bay to Breakers 12K May 15, 2011 (1:54:40)           First 5K 5/23/11 (41:22)
Half Marathons: Napa:  7/18/10  (4:11:21)   7/17/11 (3:30:58)   7/15/12  (3:13:11.5) 

SJ Rock and Roll: 10/2/10 (3:58:22)  Run Surf City: 2/6/11 (3:19:54) 
                         Diva: 5/6/12 (3:35:00) 
HW/SW/CW  349/326/176
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Paul C.
on 1/20/12 1:29 am - Cumming, GA
If you do like most people you will look at a BMI chart and say hey this number looks good! In effect you will essentially be pulling the number out your ass.  As Hala said BMI is not a good indicator when it comes to individuals as it was originaly designed to define a populations health.

Body Fat % is a more accurate indicator.  It is possible to be Obese BMI wise and perfectly Fit Body Fat wise just as it is possible to be Normal BMI wise and Over Weight or Obese Body Fat wise.  Google the term "Skinny Fat People"

The problem I see with making your goal a number is you will obsess over that number and freak as it looks like you won't hit that number, the reality is you might not! You may hit it you may get close to it you may exceed it or you may only get 30 pounds from it.

Better goals to set are goals that translate to something that you have the ability to control.  Complete a 5K ride roller coasters with your family, get off any meds stuff like that.

or Goals you can build on. I am going to exercise 30 minute 3 times this week then you can increase it.

Make this journey about health and fitness and you will have a much more enjoyable time with it.

Don't be a slave to the scale and let some number define who you are, hell we can stay fat and feel like **** for how much the scale says we weigh.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Most Active
Recent Topics